2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Owner. New Here. Questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
StaticFilter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner. New Here. Questions :)

Hey guys, I'm officially a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab 4.7l V8 owner and am looking for some answers and a new place to call home. I just sold my 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed 4.0l V6 6-Speed, needed to downgrade my payment since I just had a son born, so I went from a $23,830 truck to a $6000 one Anyway, I always called TacomaWorld.com my home but now i need a new one.

Onto the questions:

Tires-
I don't have a lift, but it might be leveled (block under the rear leaf springs) currently running 265/70R16 tires (31x10.43x16) Any idea what the largest tire i can run without rubbing would be? 32s even possible?

RPMs-
My gauges don't seem to have a redline, my tacoma was about 5500, are 5000rpm shifts safe for the 4.7 V8?

Badges-
It's debadged, is there a place I could buy the badges?

Fogs anytime-
I modded my Tacoma to enable my fogs with my high beams, is this possible in the Dakota?

DC Receps constant hot-
Is there a way to make the DC outlet in the cab ALWAYS ON as to enable charging cell phones etc while not driving/no key in ignition?

Thats all i can think of for now, sorry its messy hehe
I look forward to talking to you all!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My auto tranny makes me shift at 5,500 at wide open throttle. Take that into consideration. Therefore, it seems reasonable that 5,000 is okay. Obviously revving that high puts more stress and wear on parts, but it isn't going to instantly ruin your motor.

I have seen people talking about doing that with the fogs. Take a browse of our forum and see what you can stir up with the search function. You might even consider searching the entire forum and not just the 2nd gen dakota forum.

I like the way you think with the lighter outlet. I'm going to look into it and I'll let you know. I think a good place to start would be to take a look at a wiring schematic.

I am useless with tires.

Is being debadged really that bad? Pictures? Mine has all of the badges, but I'm sort've indifferent. I like the hood badge though.

I'm no expert, but this is what I know for now. Good luck. Keep us updated, even if you figure it out on your own, just to bring a conclusion to this thread. That way if a new guy comes browsing and finds this thread, he'll also find his answer in this thread

Last edited by Rantz; 08-17-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by StaticFilter
Hey guys, I'm officially a 2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab 4.7l V8 owner and am looking for some answers and a new place to call home. I just sold my 2005 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Short Bed 4.0l V6 6-Speed, needed to downgrade my payment since I just had a son born, so I went from a $23,830 truck to a $6000 one Anyway, I always called TacomaWorld.com my home but now i need a new one.

Onto the questions:

Tires-
I don't have a lift, but it might be leveled (block under the rear leaf springs) currently running 265/70R16 tires (31x10.43x16) Any idea what the largest tire i can run without rubbing would be? 32s even possible?
Thats what most of us run. To fit much else, you better be an engineer. I am in school to be such, and I still haven't found a way to go bigger without a lift

RPMs-
My gauges don't seem to have a redline, my tacoma was about 5500, are 5000rpm shifts safe for the 4.7 V8?
I have the 3.9, so I can't vouch for much, other than I hit 5K every now and then. Not sure on the stroke difference from the 3.9/5.2 318 and the 4.7

Badges-
A few people here are debadged, they might have kept them, else ebay.

Fogs anytime-
I modded my Tacoma to enable my fogs with my high beams, is this possible in the Dakota?

DC Receps constant hot-
Is there a way to make the DC outlet in the cab ALWAYS ON as to enable charging cell phones etc while not driving/no key in ignition?
Dakota wiring is a joke. If you have a haynes manual, you can do almost anything. But yes to both.

Last edited by magnethead; 08-17-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Rantz
Veteran

By the way, welcome to Dodge Forum!

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
twitchy
Professional

my 2K Sport auto has two DC outlets in the cab.
the left is always on, the right requires ignition to be on.

might have been an optional feature, but I'm sure that's possible to add to a 2002 if you can find the parts.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Definitely need some pictures of this truck. I have always thought of 5 grand being as high as I would go. I don't know what redline is but I know it's over 5.

Look in the FAQ section. It has a lot on tire sizes but I think 32's will fit with no lift, but I can't make any promises.

A quick and easy way to find more rubber is to simply crank the TB's a little. You can go up an inch and it will then be level with the rear. I know 32's will fit then. And if you go all the way (~2inches) 33's will fit.

You're going to miss that 6 speed, especially if this truck is an auto. But overall I think you will like the Dakota. It's tough to compare an almost brand new truck to a 9 year old truck.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StaticFilter

Onto the questions:

Tires-

You can fit 32's with a torsion bar crank

RPMs-

id say 4,500 to 5,000 my 5.2 auto shifts at 5k when full throttle.

Badges-
Ebay is best bet but I like a debadged truck.

Fogs anytime-

I think the newer daks can do the same. I know my 98 wont and i've looked everywhere.

DC Receps constant hot-

My truck has a power outlet and a cig lighter but best bet it just run a hot wire to it that has a fuse on it that way not melting any wiring.

Thats all i can think of for now, sorry its messy hehe
I look forward to talking to you all!
Welcome to the forum hope your truck serves you as well as ours have to us.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 AM
StaticFilter

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, it's late so I'll have to get some pics up of my Dakota tomorrow. Doesn't have anything special done to it except for an exhaust tip and new grille. Oh but I might as well post a pic of my old Taco

oh and for what it's worth, the Dakota is a manual as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Rantz
Veteran

Oh the horror....

Old 08-18-2010, 01:44 AM
StaticFilter

Originally Posted by Rantz
Oh the horror....
haha dont hate on me already i just got here!

Forgot to mention I have a key fob but it doesn't function, any way to program that myself or do i have to hit up a dealer?

Oh and my truck has the Infinity sound system, but i dunno if its working cuz it sounds like crap...

Quick Reply: New Owner. New Here. Questions :)