2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

squealing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 PM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry squealing noise

I recently got into a accident with my truck. Some lady texting rear ended me at a stoplight. Insurance company is gonna replace bumper
and put on a new tow hitch. Yes a new tow hitch, when she hit me she did not get off the gas pedal at all. when she hit she still was on the
gas pedal and her car was underneath my truck. It was like a carnival ride. rear of My truck kept bouncing up and down. there was Black marks from her tires peeling out.
Now that you guys know a little info on my accident. What I would like to know is when I get on the gas from a dead stop transmission shifts into a higher gear just like it should but I hear a squealing noise like at a higher torque. I am unsure on what it is? Sounds like it coming from front of the truck area underneath driver.

IF any of you can give me some idea on what to check it will be greatly appreciated. I am thinking transmission because you hear the noise
only at a higher torque, like when transmission shifts down.
About 3 months ago I changed transmission fluid and put in royal purple max atf transmission fluid and yes I did get the oem factory filters.
I also got the mag hytec transmission pan that holds like a quart more. Also I changed diff fluid too I used Max-Gear Gear Oil 75w140. I also replaced diff cover with mag hytec diff cover for my 9.25 axle.

I know such a long post but its kind of depressing that I have so much money wrapped up in my truck and now this.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

Their are so many distracted drivers now like having 30 times more drunk drivers on the road every stop I make I watch who is coming at my rear or the Idiot driving next to me always veering into my lane or toward the curb.

Driving has become dangerous these days.

Probably why auto insurance is going up so high these days more fender benders I see so many drivers weaving back and forth down the road texting or on the cell.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-18-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if she tweaked the frame a little, its very possible your fan clutch is making some contact with your electric fan(if you have one?) or radiator itself,ive had this happen before,only made noise under heavy throttle,check your fan clutch (outer edges)and see if it looks like its been rubbing on anything?

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like front band slippage to Me, but I am having my own AT issues [ATM].
No odd noises, just won't shift at all and best described a lot like limp in mode.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Rad-1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear ?

I have a 97 Plymouth Neon with a bad automatic transmission. Does anyone know which gears I would need to change from the old trans into the SOHC trans to keep the low gear ratio?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Tavian
Default 1998 dodge dakota 5 speed 3.9l

I have a 98 dodge dakota 3.9l 5 speed everything was shifting fine then all of a sudden a really loud screeching noise happened them there was no clutch I looked under the truck and there was a line that blew coming from the tranny. Anyone know why it did that and what to do

Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 PM
steve star

I wouldn't be sighing off on any insurance claim just yet, It sounds like she was on top of your rear axle .. You could have damage to your whole drive train.. Axles, Tranny, transfer case, shafts,, etc.. First get the insurer to pay for a dealer ship inspection.. And then go from there.. BY THE WAY.. HOW IS YOUR NECK FEELING???? I'm sure the insurer would be interested to know that you might have to be talking an attorney if your truck isn't FIX!!!!!

Last edited by steve star; 03-05-2018 at 08:00 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-13-2018, 04:47 AM
Thomas LaDuc

Originally Posted by Tavian
I have a 98 dodge dakota 3.9l 5 speed everything was shifting fine then all of a sudden a really loud screeching noise happened them there was no clutch I looked under the truck and there was a line that blew coming from the tranny. Anyone know why it did that and what to do
I had a 99 I don't know how many times mine blew off over the years eventually put a new hose on and never happened again but it would typically blow off coming off a stop sign.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:53 AM
Brent Easterling

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota,4 cyl.,5 speed.I just replaced the clutch,throw out bearing,pressure plate.After installing the system,my clutch did work but now it doesn't.Seems like I don't have enough pressure for it to engage into any gear.HELP!!!!

Old 12-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Ricky Spencer

Originally Posted by Double Oh Dodge
Sounds like front band slippage to Me, but I am having my own AT issues [ATM].
No odd noises, just won't shift at all and best described a lot like limp in mode.
check you pressure switch in your transmission. Just change that out and your transmission will shift again and won’t be in limp mode.

Quick Reply: squealing noise