2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001, 4.7 -- new engine/head blown

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 03:31 AM
Kelli
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001, 4.7 -- new engine/head blown

I have kind of a rare Dakota. Tex is a 2001, decked out Quad, Amberfire (only--no gray), 4.7 V8 that got 18 city/22 highway until head gasket replacement (I have proof). I don't know the transmission, but it is an automatic with overdrive. It has 137612 (give or take a two) miles.

I love the truck, it's my pride and joy! Outwardly it is in really good shape. Engine wise it's a mess--no other nice way to say it. Major Dodge issue--I've had them. What I want to know is, is there is a different engine that will fit in the truck. I'm at last resort, which is why I'm asking. To be totally honest it doesn't have to be a dodge engine [blasphemy, I know]. I just really want to keep Tex, if at all possible.

Reason I ask is because last night, I'm 99% sure the head blew. On the drivers side I have antifreeze is all over the engine. I was in light traffic going down a freeway. Temp wasn't even at 1/2 way and all other gauges were good. Yet, it quickly got slightly hotter than "normal"--right about 1/2 way mark. I was less than 3 miles from destination so I turned the heat on, windows down. Didn't help much then all of a sudden cool air came in from the vents and steam from the engine (outside)--gauges still showed good. I got it to safety and let it cool. I had it towed home. I have not tried to restart it. Day before I just checked all fluid levels, they were good.

In the past 3 years I've replaced the radiator, had a head gasket replaced. Then because the guy let it sit so long a crankshaft leak fixed, and as of last week a/c condenser and oil pump + sending unit replaced (pressure dropped when at idle/lights--good when driving). I've also done a lot of maintenance and the guy who worked on it said he switched it to high mileage oil.

Since I don't have my Dad to ask any more. Can someone tell me, and I'm just curious, if someone mixed synthetic (high mileage) and regular oil--would that cause my engine to blow? If so, how can I tell? (The guys at the shop topped my oil off last week--it was low.)

Thanks for responding!

Old 08-14-2015, 07:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Mixing synthetic and conventional wont blow and engine. Are you sure a hose did not burst spraying coolant all over the engine? A head gasket blowing normally is not noticible from outside the engine. It would be burning coolant, coolant would be mixed in the oil, etc. I would do some inspecting first. Check thermostat housings, coolant hoses, expansion bottle, etc. Replacing the engine with something out of another make/model of vehicle would be more trouble and expensive than it's worth.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

The best insurance cost almost nothing but TIME

One time a year you should inspect your auto top to bottom with a strong flashlight for any potential problems that may be brewing and catch them BEFORE they become a problem you could save yourself thousands of dollars. Even new autos develop problems also look at the recomended maintenance list and follow it.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 PM
Kelli
Default Update--in the light of day.

I'm glad to know it couldn't be the oil! I didn't really think it could be, but I haven't used synthetic before and was concerned (and to be honest at 3am I was grasping at straws). I figured replacing the engine probably wouldn't be worth it, but wanted to check. Thank you!

I just looked at the the truck. Vehicle is on a slanted drive (nose down) so I won't get good readings on fluids, but I did check the oil level. Shows very low and consistency is watery. The reason I said I think the head is blown is because I have seen a blown engine before and it looked eerily close to this. I've seen this truck blow a hose before (upper) overheat and quit on me, trying to get it off the road, and it was nothing like this.

Upper radiator hose is good--no cracks, no breaks, it's on solid at both ends. I also tried moving the hose near the cap to see if it separated--it didn't. It is a reinforced hose, but it could have collapsed--it's done that before. That's the reason for the reinforced hose. There is NO antifreeze--none in the hose & none in the reservoir. The cap looks good, but I am wondering if maybe I didn't quite get tight. Yet I don't think that should have caused what occurred. Maybe it did and things have changed, but I don't think so because remember Dad leaving a cap loose (last resort) to keep from having too much pressure build up if he had a problem to get our Aspen or Cougar home or to a shop--if it was CLOSE. If I'm wrong and that is the problem--yea! If not, . . .

There still is antifreeze is all over the injectors (drivers side) and from the blanket cover on the hood, that is where 99% of the antifreeze was on the top, a small amount was by the firewall to the cab. There is antifreeze in-between the block and driver's firewall when you look up into the engine from the ground. I have also noticed a small leak under the center front (almost under the bumper) that has appeared this morning--not sure if it is leftover antifreeze or oil--probably left over antifreeze.

The reason I didn't take a flashlight to look at all of the hoses, etc this summer is because I just got it back. He said he checked hoses and said they were good--I asked them to do this. It is out of warranty for the head gasket, but not the crankshaft or oil pump/sending unit.

I put what antifreeze I have in it. I'm going to go buy some more and see if he will start and hold or if I can at least determine where the leak is coming from. If this is a bad idea--please let me know. I will check this first before adding it.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Most parts stores will rent you a coolant pressure test kit for free. You pay for the kit when you rent it but they give you a full refund when you bring it back. Fill up the coolant and install the test tool and pump up the pressure. It should show you exactly where the leak is coming from. The kit will eliminate a lot of work and aggravation.

Jimmy

Old 08-14-2015, 02:56 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Unfortunately most shops will only do a quick glancing look at your auto. I don't trust any shop with my auto been burned way too many times and jacked around to go back to a shop. They usually break as much as they fix if they fix it correctly at all.

1. lost 2K trying to fix my A/C and never fixed it but messed it up bad one time they stripped out the compressor blots and it fell off in the engine bay as I was driving home 4th try to fix it they pulled my dash at $800 only to get half way home and get a flood of coolant pouring out of my dash they had to tow it back to the shop After that. I refused to bring it back when the A/C stopped working AGAIN.

2. Had a shop forget to install the trans mount bolts and forgot to fill the trans fluid on a clutch job lucky me after I found the bolts missing I decided to check the fluid level and I just filled it 6 months ago.

3. Had 5 shops try to fix my A/C no go final shop fixed it one small easy to find leak.

4. Had a shop replace my rear brakes found out 5 years later they never worked and the shoes look new still plus they never flushed out the DOT 3 if they had they would have known my wheel cylinders were frozen.

5. Dealership broke my air intake just checking things out and refused to admit they broke it loss $150 to replace.

6. On my last truck I had all new brakes installed but had a bad sequel at all stops had a different shop check it out they informed me by phone I needed all new brakes WHAT?? MORONS

7. Saw a shop poring dirt into my fuel filter to get more money out of me lucky me they were taking so long I walked back to see what was going on and saw them putting the dirt in the filter the shocked look on their faces as they knew they were had one free job that time 2 months later they were out of business.

I have a big list of F-ups

SHOPS SUCK

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-14-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Kelli

Thank you, I will go rent the kit.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:38 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation

Here is a story for ya

1. Friends Chrysler 300 needs brakes shop said so all new brakes needed they fix them.

2. 300 leaks small amount of coolant on garage floor same shop fix’s it

3. Same shop tells my friend front end needs replacing on his 2008 300 fix’s it

4. New coolant leak so shop says new rad and pump fix’s it

5. Breaks start having problems in one year goes back to shop… shop gone closed?

6. New shop looks at car finds out first shop F-ed him bad as brakes never replaced

7. New coolant leak but bad this time goes to new shop they say pump never replaced and is bad he is F-ed again by same shop.

Now he is concerned with the front end job if they fix’s anything at all

Times are bad and shops will do anything to stay afloat don’t trust any shop PERIOD.

In all I think he lost about 3K$

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-14-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:03 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing you described sounds like a blown head gasket. Sounds like you may be losing a bearing and a hose.

Also, if you did replace the oil pump you would have had to pull the front cover. Did you replace the gasket? You could be losing coolant through there I suppose. Or around your water pump/hoses. Jkeaton is right, head gasket will be internal.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Kelli

Dbilik--The oil pump and sending units were replaced before all this happened. I didn't do them, so I don't know about the gasket. I can tell you that 3 weeks ago, I was stuck in 105 degree temps (before heat index) in the truck for over an hour--driving in heavy city traffic (no a/c) and the truck did fine through all of that. What happened last week is new, after my goof (radiator cap not on tight).

To let you all know, my neighbor and a friend of his looked at the truck. And you were all correct, I didn't hurt the head gasket, but he said there is a slight bit of coolant in the oil. So something is going wrong. Hoses were fine and no liquid is coming out, antifreeze is staying full. It does run hotter than it did and it heats up quicker, but technically, it isn't boiling. It is staying at the 1/2 way mark.

Normally, I have no problem with a vehicle's temp at 1/2 way on the gauge--it's fine, it's perfectly normal. However, the mechanic's warning is what threw me for the loop. To be honest evidently I did a dumb (yes I do know better) move, but it's not the end of the world nor the truck. However, all of my advisers are gone, my neighbor was away, and all I could think about was what I had been told. Since my gut said I need better help and people who know these trucks better I got on here. So again, thanks for all your patience and help. I really do appreciate it!

Now, I just need to know how to tell what is going wrong so that I can get it fixed before it does break down. :-)

Quick Reply: 2001, 4.7 -- new engine/head blown