2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hood Scoop intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 PM
jjharmon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Scoop intake

I have a 2002 Dakota and I want to install a cold air intake but I want a hood style intake if possible. I have 3 reasons for this.
1. I want the performance Benefit of a true cold intake (not one that just draws in hot engine compartment air)

2. I want the cosmetic look that a hood scoop provides without the have fake stick on scoops.

3. I want the install a second battery in the space current occupied by the air filter box.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that wants to do or has done it. I don't have a lot of money so I need to use the existing hood and cut the hole in it. Thank you.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Anything is possible with a sawzall. Then you would probably have to custom fabricate your own intake system to seal the TB to the scoop underhood.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll have to look and see if I can find pics. My last laptop hdd crashed but I might have them on an SD card or thumb drive someplace. But I did exactly this on my last truck.

I added scoop, cut hood, made functional, use rubber weatherstripping so under hood looked finished and professional and lastly routed my CAI at a 45* angle into the scoop.

For now, I have exterior, and yes that's gutter mesh...

Old 09-03-2015, 05:44 PM
jjharmon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'll have to look and see if I can find pics. My last laptop hdd crashed but I might have them on an SD card or thumb drive someplace. But I did exactly this on my last truck.

I added scoop, cut hood, made functional, use rubber weatherstripping so under hood looked finished and professional and lastly routed my CAI at a 45* angle into the scoop.

For now, I have exterior, and yes that's gutter mesh...

I hope you can find the pictures and any list of materials you have would be great.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

How does it avoid water intrusion when driving in rain?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My simple but effective solution:

Hoodopensmall.jpg

It's not really a true CAI, since the scoop is not sealed to the air cleaner, but it certainly takes in outside air.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Truck looks good Tom, but I don't see how that design would prevent water ingestion, say if you were driving 75 mph, in heavy rain.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-04-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Truck looks good Jon, but I don't see how that design would prevent water ingestion, say if you were driving 75 mph, in heavy rain.
I live in California. What is this heavy rain you speak of?

Old 09-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Tom A
I live in California. What is this heavy rain you speak of?

LOL... that explains it then!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:18 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine wasn't true Ram air either. Just a little home made deal with the cone filter angled up toward the scoop. Mine actually came about by "accident". I had a limb fall on the hood and my attempt to pop it out left a crease. Small, not real noticeable, but it bugged the hell out of me. The fake scoop was a band aid to hide the crease.

About 2 years later I wanted to install a 2nd battery for my off road lighting and winch. I almost welded a battery box to the front bumper mount. The location where the hidden winch on a Power Wagon would be. But then got the idea if I cut the front out if the scoop, re-run my CAI then I could use the $35 Mopar passenger side tray for the battery. So I had a functional scoop AND my 2nd battery. Two birds/ one rock.

As for water, I'm between south Georgia and the Florida monsoons all the time. What gets past the mesh and then manages to hit the filter is minimal. Besides, the filter is oiled and since water won't mix, it doesn't soak through to the media.

Store bought CAIs that mount the filter in the wheel well for cooler air pose more risk IMO. Not to mention, you ever see where a high priced Vararam gets its air from???

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop intake