2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota 3.9l v6 magnum 2003 180k - p1391

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:50 PM
fokeiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dakota 3.9l v6 magnum 2003 180k - p1391

i have a dodge dakota 03 3.9l v6 magnum 170k on the driveway, few months ago had a bad cam/crank sensor, changed them and been running fine.

2 days ago the problem came back, code p1391 + some others which i fixed ( thermostat changed, os2 bank 1, and a new ignition coil, old one was grounded)

now it backfire a lot and wont speed up, needle goes crazy between 0 and 1000 rmp and makes like about to turn off but doesn't.

Check with my scanner and pulled a p1391 lost of cam/crank

unplug cam while running and engine shutoff.

Could it be the crank or/and cam sensor went bad already?? (got them in autozone)

should i change both for name brand parts ?

could it be something else the issue ?

Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fokeiro
i have a dodge dakota 03 3.9l v6 magnum 170k on the driveway, few months ago had a bad cam/crank sensor, changed them and been running fine.

2 days ago the problem came back, code p1391 + some others which i fixed ( thermostat changed, os2 bank 1, and a new ignition coil, old one was grounded)

now it backfire a lot and wont speed up, needle goes crazy between 0 and 1000 rmp and makes like about to turn off but doesn't.

Check with my scanner and pulled a p1391 lost of cam/crank

unplug cam while running and engine shutoff.

Could it be the crank or/and cam sensor went bad already?? (got them in autozone)

should i change both for name brand parts ?

could it be something else the issue ?
Could be. There's just something's for these trucks that it pays to go to the dealer for. Crankshaft sensor is the #1 thing.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:43 PM
fokeiro

guess ill hit a local dealer see how much they ask for the sensors

Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fokeiro
guess ill hit a local dealer see how much they ask for the sensors
Piece of advice my grandpa always said:

I'm too poor to buy cheap junk.
In other words, on this one, buy the dealer sensor. And you'll probably never have to replace it again. Shouldn't be all that much anyways. Save ya from buying multiple autozone stuff. Others things aren't bad from the parts stores, but like in said something's the dealer is the only option.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:08 PM
fokeiro

thanks for u for the advice, hopefully it will fix it

Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM
lambs
Professional
Default Let us know if it worked

That was exactly what my problem was on '97 3.9l.

Aftermarket parts sometimes miss the clearance by a few thousandths. No problems with mine since I took it back to the shop and asked them to replace it with Mopar sensor, which they did with no charge for labor…...

Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem as well. Unfortunately the crank sensor is one of the hardest sensors to change on this engine. After going through all of them again a brand new one was bad, bought from autozone. Replaced with one from advance auto, different brand, and all was good. New sensors scare me all the time but it is the crap market and quality control is just about eliminated so I expect problems such as these. The norm today is do things three times before you get it right.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM
fokeiro

Originally Posted by lambs
That was exactly what my problem was on '97 3.9l.

Aftermarket parts sometimes miss the clearance by a few thousandths. No problems with mine since I took it back to the shop and asked them to replace it with Mopar sensor, which they did with no charge for labor…...
will see if i can find one, tomorrow will hit couple of stores see what i can find, sadly the local dodge dealer, the parts department decided the phone is just a bell that doesnt need to be answered so cant even speak to them see how much they go for, this time if i go to autoparts ill try to get top brand, and i know damn crank sensorcouldnt they just put it like an easy access place and bunch of **** just to get at it

Last edited by fokeiro; 08-19-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 PM
fokeiro

i read somewhere i can test which is bad by running engine and disconnecting one and if it turns off then the one connected is bad, is this even true ?

Old 08-20-2016, 01:57 PM
fokeiro

changed both sensors and problem persists 1391 and engine sputters and backfires

Quick Reply: Dakota 3.9l v6 magnum 2003 180k - p1391