2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Drivetrain thump

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Nate22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine is doing the exact same thing

My 2005 Durango SLT is doing exactly what you described. I am getting the runaround from my dealership as well. It has been into the shop about 5 times now for the same thing. In fact, I drove another '05 last night so I would have something to compare it to, and that one that I drove did not do it at all. Did you ever find a solution to the problem? My Durango is going back into the shop on Monday and it would be nice if I could tell them how to fix the problem. Thanks, Nate

Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Borq

I have an '07 D that's doing exactly the same thing. There's no way this is within spec - its horrible during rush hour traffic. Every time I touch the gas between 15 and 40mph, BOOM - Shakes the truck.

Things I've noticed:
1) It doesn't do it in 1st gear, or over 45mph (about).
2) The vehicle has to be slowing to a point where there's back pressure on the engine before it can happen again.
3) Its definitely coming from the front. it feels like something striking "upward" into the floorboards.

I've tried jacking up the front dif a bit to see if there's any play, but it seems solid. I jacked up 1 front wheel and checked the play - I rotates about 4" then catches.

The rubber of the mounts are strangely built - thick on top and really thin at the bottom. The thin part of the rubber on all the mounts is torn (see pic of front-left mount), but its seems so thin, Im not shocked to see that. (This was taken while the jacked up by the frame at the front-right)

Do these mounts have to be pristine to function properly? I can stick a screwdriver thru that crack and out the other side...

Any help would be appreciated (for any one of us!)
Thanks in advance!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:15 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Old thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM
robmagix

I still have not found what is causing the thump, I have 120,000 miles now and have gotten used to the thump, i know almost exactly when its going to happen.
One day someone will find the problem.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Borq

Originally Posted by robmagix
I still have not found what is causing the thump, I have 120,000 miles now and have gotten used to the thump, i know almost exactly when its going to happen.
One day someone will find the problem.

Let me know if you do - I'll do the same if I figure it out.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain thump