06 Limited gas spray on fill up

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Itchy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Limited gas spray on fill up

Hello everyone,

06 Durango Limited fuel spray issue
I've seen other complaints about this but not the general fix. I'm way out of warranty and would kind of like to know what I'm walking into. Is it a fuel tank replacement or just a valve?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I read the other 2 forum posts about the issue. I plan on doing this myself (full garage available) but need to know exactly what to replace. The other posts varied from evap canisters to valves to the neck and tank itself.

Last edited by Itchy; 11-02-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No certain cure. I would inspect, disconnect, reconnect from the fuel door to tank and all of the evap stuffs. Nothing IN the tank to worry about. Also, try to get a picture of a 2009 neck to compare to your neck.

IndyDurango

Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 AM
gilbertco
Default gas tank issue

I have an 05 Durango and at some gas stations when im filling up the gas tank will overfill and spray everywhere. There is a recall on this issue, i just had mine recently fixed and it works perfect. Its an issue with the filler pipe and the gas cap, look here for details. http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/do...lls/index.html

Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM
mikeforpope

I have the same issue with my 05 Durango. When I took it to the dealer to see if it was part of the recall, they said it wasn't. So for now, I'm just stuck with dealing with it.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Three_fan

Definately has to be a "venting" issue. Make sure the canister vent line isn't clogged with spider webs or something else.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Kimmer

I just bought my 2006 durango 4 weeks ago and is having the same gas spewing over. Does anyone know forsure what the problem is and how to fix it? The dealer thinks I'm nuts.

Last edited by Kimmer; 11-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
RangoStar

My '04 has been doing it as well but it just takes time for gas to go down.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Abqhemi
Professional

My 07 just started doing it when I went to vegas. I noticed the nozzles in vegas had the sleeve around the end that mates with gas tank neck. The two times I filled it up it did it. Now that I'm back it doesn't spill? Could it be the nozzles the gas stations use? does anybody have this happen when using the older style fuel pumps without the sleeve on the end of the nozzle??

Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Itchy

Originally Posted by Abqhemi
My 07 just started doing it when I went to vegas. I noticed the nozzles in vegas had the sleeve around the end that mates with gas tank neck. The two times I filled it up it did it. Now that I'm back it doesn't spill? Could it be the nozzles the gas stations use? does anybody have this happen when using the older style fuel pumps without the sleeve on the end of the nozzle??

Where I live in FL, the majority of the pumps are the sleeveless styles. Basically I get by by only putting in 14.5 gallons on a fill up. My non diagnosed OCD erupts everytime I get in though and the gas gauge is below F.

In other news, I was going to be the proud new owner of a Challenger SRT8. After all the hoopla with this, dealing with Chrysler, multiple dealerships and my own sanity doing my unique and frustrating fueling routine, I'll either be buying a used 07-09 Shelby or used Z06 (actually love the new Buick Regal GS but if I'm spending 35k on a car I want AWD as an option. I'll keep my Audi A4, thx Buick for ruining a potential classic before it hits the floor).

I've owned several Dodge trucks and finally the Durango (4 since 96), dealt with the U joint problems, tranny and differential problems, front end alignment issues, that little **** issue on the VES navigation, leaking sunroof, weird power window issues, multiple check engine lights and the fuel tank issue. This will be my last Dodge. Dealers are so quota and sales driven now that "return" customers are treated as if it's their first time there. They used to praise customer loyalty but do no return the favor. If Chrysler will not "extend" the recall to include all affected units then they can eat that car on the lot I want. Do dealers honestly believe that people are lying about the fuel spray so we can just get a new vent line??? Do they think that people worry about those things so much that we fabricate the issue just to get a new one? Give me a break.

So during my Thanksgiving break (2 days off) I'll be examining the evap line and canister, run an camera down the fuel neck to look at the valve and maybe even pull the tank itself.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by Itchy; 11-23-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 AM
rcatty
Amateur

06 Durango, just had new gas tank installed by Dodge. Same overfill problem as reported by others. Dodge service guy said that the valves in the tank stick causing the issue, and its non-repairable. Hence, a new tank. There are other threads and posts dealing with this issue.

Quick Reply: 06 Limited gas spray on fill up