2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Help me shop for a Durango, school me on what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 AM
clayh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me shop for a Durango, school me on what to look for

So it looks like we are going to need more cab room than what our Dakota currently offers. Ie: adding a third car seat.

Looking at perhaps a Durango, maybe a Commander. Must have the Hemi(plan to tow) and 3rd row seating. Heated seats would be a bonus.

I've skimmed the forum a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, 2004 was the first year the Durango had a Hemi. 2004 was a bad year for the Hemi and best to avoid.

Do all 2nd gen Durangos have 3rd row seats or was it an option?
What years/models had AWD? Is it reliable?
Did the 2nd gen Durango ever come with console shift vs column?
Any significant advantages to the Chrysler Aspen other than bling? More power, different gear ratios, etc?
What gear ratios were offered?
What year did MDS come in? Is it worth it?
Any chronic problems to watch for?
Any opinons on the Durango vs Commander? I like the Jeep brand but damn is that thing ever boxy looking!

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the 2004 and to avoid that year. I think the MDS started in 2006. The Aspen is essentially the same as the Durango (different grilles, tail lights, quarter panels). I have AWD with the 4lo, 4lock and I put it in 4lock a few times a year. The AWD is great and very good in the snow. I think all Durangos have a column shift for the second generation.
FF

Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM
clayh
Professional

Thanks for the reply. Thats the AWD system I want, something with a 4hi lock. A 2wd option would be nice as well(like the old Select-Trac on the Jeep Cherokees) but I won't be too choosy.

Does the MDS make a big difference in mpg? Is it worth paying extra for?

Did the 2nd gen Durangos come with 5spd auto like the Daks with 2 OD gears? The tranny and torque management on our Dak drives me nuts. You can feel the power is there but it doesn't seem to get the the wheels till you are already doing 30mph.

Also we live in a big valley and are always going up and down a hill. Other vehicles I have (4spd autos) I just lock out OD and stay in 3rd gear(direct 1:1) when going down the hill and the engine brakes nicely and I use the brakes minimally. On the Dak I cann't lock it into 3rd(direct drive 1:1). I can lock out the top OD(5th gear) but the gear selector only lets me select D which is 4th gear(OD) or 2nd gear which is too low for the speed on that hill. There is no option to lock out both 4th and 5th OD. Is the Durango like this too? Thats why I was hoping for a console shift. I thought I saw it on a Durango but it must have been a 3rd gen.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:55 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

get a real expert on the suspension , check that hasnt been in a wreck. if the frame, or arms has to much damage , it cant be fixed. if the ball joints are only a little loose, thats ok. if a lot loose then it may cost some more latter. but it doesnt matter, if you have a DODGE, you WILL replace the ball joints, sooner or latter. just get used to it. hint: look for glass in tight spots, is a give away of damage.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

My 5.7 Hemi Limited has a 5 speed automatic 545RFE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysle...RFE_and_545RFE

Old 11-26-2012, 05:34 PM
clayh
Professional

Has it got the same stupid shift selection as the Dakota or do you have an option of locking it into 3rd gear?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
clayh
Professional

Do they all have just two seats in the middle position? How hard is it to get into the third row?

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mine has the quad seating (buckets) for the second row, but I think that was an option as an option. The seats flip up and the third row is easily accessible unless you have a car seat in the second row.
FF

Quick Reply: Help me shop for a Durango, school me on what to look for