See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

2004 Durango 4WD AWD Shift Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 AM
wishbone2009
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still can't troubleshoot the problem. Seems like the computer thinks the switch is in Lock when it should be in AWD. Problem is sporadic and can sometimes be corrected by pushing in N> pushbutton. Also noticed that if I place in 4LOCK it will try to go into LO. Like the switch is off by one position. Would lead me to believe that it is a computer issue and not transfer case.

n8ech if I pull the connector off the transfer case shift motor I assume that will prevent it going into 4LOCK? Will give me some more time to troublshoot and still drive the truck if it does.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish:

I believe unplugging the connector will buy you some time. You will probably get a "service 4WD light" on the dash, but no biggie there because you will know why its on.

In the Gen 1 D's, there was a Transfer Case Control module that took care of the selections called for by the dash switch.

I think our Gen 2 Durangos transfer case needs are done by the Forward Control Module, or another one like it.

Just for giggles, do a battery disconnect reset and see if that helps any.

Remove the negative terminal from the battery, and then depress brake pedal for 30 seconds or so.

Reconnect the neg terminal, and see if the funny stuff away at least for a while.

Don

Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
wishbone2009

Thanks for the advice Don. Your awesome! I'll give it a try today.

I was thinking about trying to reset the computer. Very strange problem and tough to recreate. Sometime it's fine when I start the vehicle and will start going into LOCK 15-20 minutes later. Other times it's the opposite and will clear itself after a while. Yesterday it was almost like the switch in the dash was off by one position (AWD in LOCK and LOCK goes into 4LO).

Old 06-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Dirksy

Wishbone 2009:

Did you ever get resolve on the issue?

I have a 2005 Durango doing exactly the same thing. It happens about 1 out of every 3 times I drive the vehicle. Most of the time I can hear the transfer case motor actuating right after I open the driver door or unlock the door with the remote (before the vehicle is running). Then when I start the vehicle the SVC 4WD is on and the hubs are locked (even though the 4WD dial is in AWD mode).

Dodge dealer re-programmed my cluster but this didn't fix. Just wanted to see if you had any results.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2011, 06:48 PM
wishbone2009

Unfortunately I haven't resolved the problem. I suspect it's the computer. I believe the battery started to go and the computer has lost it's mind. My symptoms are the same as your's. I can usually get the LOCK off by pushing the N button.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 PM
cmoore_21
Angry ??????????

has anyone solved this? I have a 04 Durango doing this now. I took it to the dealer and they cant figure it out. mine has temporarily locked in but it unlocks on its own after I drive. if I disconnect the negative battery cable it doesn't do it again for 2-3 days. this is driving me nuts!

Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM
roswellirish
Question Still an Issue

I see where the last post on this thread was back in 2013 - has anyone figured out a resolution to the issue with 2nd gen Durango's - My '04 just started having the issue a week or so ago. It started having issues when I would turn into parking places or backing out of my drive way on tight turns - I could feel the 4wd kick in - it then locked into 4wd constantly. After ready many posts on all kinds of websites, I took it to my mechanic and asked him to get it into AWD and disconnect the TCM. He called and said that it wouldn't go if the TCM was disconnected so he dropped the rear drive shaft. It still feels like it is locked in 4wd and the indicator says this. When I do get it into AWD, it does not engage and/or move. This looks like it has been an issue on 2nd gen for sometime but I do not see a resolution. Can someone out there help me out? Bad TCM? Bad Relay? Someone ....Anyone?

Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

In all wheel drive, the transfer case allows differentiation between front, and rear drivetrain. If one shaft is missing, then no, you won't move. All the torque will be routed in that direction. in Four Wheel Drive, front and rear drivetrain are locked together. Allow no differentiation at all. (that's why you don't use it on high traction surfaces.....)

Old 10-10-2017, 12:00 PM
roswellirish

Thanks for the response - a couple of more questions. If I drive the Durango in this mode, 4wd locked and rear drive shaft removed, will this damage the vehicle? Second question, goes back tot he original problem, what is the fix for the original problem the svc 4wd light followed by locking into 4wd?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

You can drive it like that, but, I wouldn't recommend it for long periods...... As for the problem... No idea. I hate electronic t-case controls. Just give me a stick on the floor.

Quick Reply: 2004 Durango 4WD AWD Shift Problem