2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

OBDII Code and trouble shoot question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 PM
RedStrapperRacing
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII Code and trouble shoot question

I have a 2007 Durango Limited 4x4 and it is throwing these two codes below. Any help in troubleshooting would be appreciated I recently moved and my service manual is packed up in storage in another state!!!!
Codes-
P3441: Cylinder 6 Deactivation/Intake Valve Control Circuit/Open
P0455: Generic code, Evaporative Emission System Leak detected. (Gross leak / no flow)

Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The P0455 may be your gas cap not being firmly seated.
FF

Old 12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
RedStrapperRacing
Amateur

Yeah, pretty sure that's the case - replaced the fuel cap awhile back. Erased the code just recently though so I'll track it - not sure how many cold starts it would take for it to go away if it is in fact the problem.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
RedStrapperRacing
Amateur

How to begin diagnosing error code P3441is what I'm more concerned with.
One other odd thing I've noticed (not related to the error code above) is the tire pressure sensor light always comes on. We check the tires - pressure is fine. At first I attributed this to possibly being large swings in ambient air temp during the fall of the year but now that we have had steady temps it still does this.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The tire pressure sensor would need to be replaced. I traded in my 2007 with a bad TPMS before I could change it out but I cleared the code so the dealer would not notice it.
FF

Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM
RedStrapperRacing
Amateur

How much does a TPS run?

Old 12-15-2013, 12:59 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), NGC/Diagnosis and Testing

P3441-MDS SOLENOID 6 CIRCUIT

Theory of Operation

When all criteria has been met, power is supplied to each MDS Solenoid when the engine is making a transition from 8 cylinder mode to 4 cylinder mode. By actuating the solenoid, oil pressure is raised to the pair of lifters that coincide with each particular solenoid. The oil pressure pushes in the locking pins that allows the lifter to collapse, decoupling the valves and camshaft.

•When Monitored:
Transition from 8 to 4 cylinder mode.

•Set Condition:
When the PCM recognizes a problem with the Solenoid Control circuit. One trip fault.

Possible Causes

(K453) MDS SOLENOID NO.6 CONTROL SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(K453) MDS SOLENOID NO.6 CONTROL SHORT TO GROUND
(K453) MDS SOLENOID NO.6 CONTROL OPEN
(Z903) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
MDS SOLENOID NO.6
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

1.ACTIVE DTC

NOTE: Diagnose any Misfire DTCs before continuing.

1. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE: It may be necessary to test drive the vehicle in order for this DTC to set.

2. With a scan tool, select View DTCs.

NOTE: Diagnose any Deactivation or Oil Pressure DTCs before continuing with this test.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes

•Go To 2

No

•Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Diagnostic Procedure. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

2.MDS SOLENOID NO.6

1. Turn the ignition off.

2. Gain access to the MDS Solenoid No.6.

3. Disconnect the MDS Solenoid No.6 harness connector.

4. Ignition on, engine not running.

5. Turn off all accessories.

6. Using a 12-volt test light connected to the (Z903) Ground circuit, probe the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit.

7. With a scan tool, actuate the MDS Solenoid No.6.

NOTE: The DTC needs to be cleared before actuating the Solenoid, if the DTC is not cleared, the Solenoid may not be allowed to actuate.

NOTE: The test light should be illuminated and bright proportional to the maximum duty cycle allowed by the scan tool. For example, if the scan tool allows 100% actuation, the brightness should be as bright as a direct connection to the battery. If the scan tool allows a maximum 25% actuation, the brightness should be 25% as bright as a direct connection to the battery.

Does the 12-volt test light illuminate accordingly?

Yes

•Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Solenoid and the Powertrain Control Module connectors. If OK, replace the MDS Solenoid No.6.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

No

•Go To 3

3.(Z903) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

2. Using a 12-volt test light connected to the 12-volts, probe the (Z903) Ground circuit in the MDS Solenoid No.6 harness connector.

Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes

•Go To 4

No

•Repair the open in the (Z903) Ground circuit.
•Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure).

4.(K453) MDS SOLENOID CONTROL NO.6 CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

1. Disconnect the C2 PCM harness connector.

2. Ignition on, engine not running.

3. Measure the voltage on the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit in the MDS Solenoid No.6 connector.

Is there any voltage present?

Yes

•Repair the short to voltage in the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit.

No

•Go To 5

5.(K453) MDS SOLENOID NO.6 CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

2. Measure the resistance between ground and the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit in the MDS Solenoid No.6 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes

•Repair the short to ground in the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit.

No

•Go To 6

6.(K453) MDS SOLENOID NO.6 CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install the PCM Pinout Box Kit, NGC, 38 Position 8815A to perform diagnosis.

1. Measure the resistance of the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit from the MDS Solenoid No.6 harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool # 8815A .

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

•Go To 7

No

•Repair the open in the (K453) MDS Solenoid No.6 Control circuit.

7.POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

1. Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Solenoid and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

2. Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.

3. Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals. Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Solenoid and the Powertrain Control Module connectors.

4. Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

•Repair as necessary.

No

•Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:57 AM
RedStrapperRacing
Amateur

Master Tech- that is exactly what I was looking for- thank you!! Now time to head out in the cold and figure this out.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:33 AM
Smoke14ekoms
Default 2007 Durango Limited 5.7 P0513 P3425

I get some weird codes from time to time when it rains. Today's thunderstorms brought on P0513 and P3425. Can anyone tell me what those are?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Quick Reply: OBDII Code and trouble shoot question