2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

05 Durango just quits??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
jstrongoh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Durango stall...

I just found this forum. I also have a 2005 Hemi Durango that stalls. Filed a lemon lawsuit and so far no buy back. Ours follows the many listed here in that it seems to stall when backing out of the garage after a cold start, or minutes after starting when pulling out of the driveway (long 700' drive). It has always restarted without issue. A couple of points my wife has offered up (she usually drives it) is that for a while she thought if she topped the tank off with gas, it seemed to trigger the event. Another observation I have made, is that this vehicle is AWD. Some mornings, when started and put into reverse, the vehicle just sits and does not move. When the accelerator is pressed, its almost like the vehicle is forced to roll over a speed bump, in other words it has to work to get moving. Other times, it acts like a normal vehicle which when put into reverse, without any accelerator, the vehicle will at least start to roll. When the first scenario is experienced, it almost always will stall.

The recent NHTSA investigation into this problem has the case closed, while not calling it a "no problem". Any and all owners with this problem need to file a complaint to let them know these firmware updates are not fixing the problem. Case ID EA05018. Here is the link
http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=EA05018&docType=INV& fromPublic=true
More backround for us is like the rest of the posts, this vehicle has been in and out numerous times for a pile of issues from Engine light on, Airbag light on, squeeking right front brake when rolling slowly, whistle at 50mph and blower turned off (this one they gave up on), klunking in right rear underside of vehicle when bumps hit. Pretty pathetic........ I have 3 other Dodge products which have been flawless. This one for sure is a "lemon"!

Lets get Chrysler to own-up to this obviously flawed vehicle.

Thanks,
Jstrongoh

Old 09-25-2007, 10:34 AM
jstrongoh

Here is the link to the NHTSA web site to file a complaint.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

J

Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM
05DurangoAM

My 2005 Durango Slt Also shuts down randomly. But each time it has shut down i have been making a left turn. Very add dealer also said they couldnt find problem....

Old 01-25-2008, 10:33 AM
campdaddy

My 05 Hemi D had a stalling problem early last summer -at 30K, but it turned out to be a weak battery. Without warning it began to stall but it would start back up and run just fine. Finally it just died altogether and would not restart; starter w/n turn, lights were weak, radio lost all presets. I had AAA put a jump on it and it would start but it died immediately. Replaced the battery and it has run fine ever since................that is until yesterday.

Started up fine but immediately stalled. Restarted fine, I thought little about it because the temp outside was about 10deg. Drove to work and back home with no problem. Went out later to go someplace and it did it again. Started up but immediately stalled. Restarted it and same thing, within 2-3 sec it stalled. I did notice that the security system waring light was on. Restarted one more time and it stalled again. Tried to start it again but it would not turn over. Again the security warning light came on and stayed on. I went in the house and got the other key. It started right up, the security light went out and it ran fine.

I'm suspecting that the key was at fault here. I haven't tested it yet as it's about 0deg out there right now. Does anybody have any info on these keys. I understand that they put out a signal that must be there in order for the D to start and run. Can these keys lose the program? Does the condition of the battery in the key for the remote have anything to do with the strength of the keys signal?

Old 02-10-2008, 02:19 PM
LDHarris

I had looked at this a while back. We had the same issue with our 2005 limited Hemi. After the dealer took and flashed the memory, it has never done it again. Check to see if this is something that could help you. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
KarnageTyme

2005 Dodge Durango with big block hemi 5.7 - 1.5 to 2 years ago we shared all the same horror stories as almost everyone of you have. Stalling in parking lots, in driveway, accellerating onto the freeway - never a major accident but lots of scary stuff. In the dealership multiple times for firmware reflash of eproms, cant find problem and eventually (fixed problem) rebuild of the front end of the transmission! What a pain it was and I am astonished of the number of folks that have exhibited the same problems with their Durango and the even more so of the lack of professional courtesy by Dodge service personnel to not have the decency to keep up to date on service bulletins nor to have a clue what to do about this. It is clearly an issue that is plagued by this vehicle and now I see the true depth of it by reading all these horror stories.... I have another issue I will submit in a new post but for all of you plagued by this force your service technician to read the service bulletins and tell them that you heard the transmission (electronically shifted not like the old days of using centrifical force and pressure) issues have caused this. I wish I could remember more about the fix on this and will look at my old service reciepts to see if I can find what the ultimate multitudes of fixes really were...
Good Luck!
Kevin

Old 02-26-2008, 12:39 PM
joel95ex
Default RE: 05 Durango just quits??

Cleaned the mass air flow sensor with the CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner, cleaned the throttle body, and replaced plugs.....also added a k&n filter..... stalling and crazy idle has gone away......

Old 02-13-2011, 10:49 PM
kenuks
Default 2006 Durango stalling

I have a 2006 Durango (Hemi)and it is only stalling when it is cold and at an intersection when I come to a full stop. Once it warms up after a few minutes it is fine. I have seen it stall a few times at the same intersection when it is cold. If the outdoor temperature is below 32 degrees it is worse.
As soon as I come to a full stop I can see the tachometer flutter and then just drop off and the truck stalls. Restarts no problem right away.

Quick Reply: 05 Durango just quits??