2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 AM
houndog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission question

I have an 02 intrepid ES with 3.5, 122K. All of a sudden the trans dropped into 2nd when I stopped. It would not shift out of 2nd until I stopped and turned the car off. The engine light came on. When the engine is cold and I drive for a while the trans shifts ok. When the car gets warm and I stop the trans drops into 2nd again. I drove 2 miles to the freeway without any problem, drove 50 miles on the freeway without slowing low enough for the trans to shift down. When I came to a stop the trans dropped into 2nd and wouldn't shift. A trans man said he thought it could be the wiring harness. Dodge gets over $400 for the harness. Was thinking of trying one from a wrecking yard for $100 just because if that wasn't the problem I would be out $400. Do I have to get a harness that matches my engine. Are the 2.7 and 3.5 trans the same. I need help. jc

Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 PM
holtzer1
Rookie
Default RE: transmission question

he transmission jumping into 2nd means the transmission is in "limp mode"
step 1: have it scanned for transmission codes
step 2: fix whatever problem the code points to

i personaly havent seen a wiring harness go bad and cause a limp mode problem. you have an electrical issue yes, most likely a sensor. it needs to be scanned to figure out why.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM
houndog
Amateur

If I go to Auto Zone and use their obd2 unit and get the codes. Will someone be able to tell me which sensor is bad by the codes? They don'ttell you anything atAuto Zone. jc

Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
holtzer1
Rookie

yep...get the codes and i'll let ya know what they are.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:47 AM
houndog
Amateur

There are 4 codes: PO700, PO731, PO841 and P1776. Auto Zone's definition wasn't complete. It just mentioned transmission sensor problem and didn't pinpoint which one. The P1776 said something about a VW?? My son will be doing the work. We are both back yard mechanics and can get the job done most of the time. While at the wrecking yard we saw a wiring harness laying on a transmission on a 99 Intrepid,no engine. I believe there were4 sensors. I have the 3.5 engine. Dodge parts man said I had toget a wiring harness from a 2002 with 3.5 in order for the harness to work. True or false? Jim

Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 AM
holtzer1
Rookie

P0700
Transmission Control System Malfunction

P0731
Gear 1 Incorrect ratio

P1776:
Solenoid Switch Valve Latched in Low/Reverse Position.

P0841 - Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance

the p0700 is a basic code that says you have a transmission code stored in the pcm...which then leads you to scan the tcm for codes
p0731 is "usually" caused by a faulty input or output speed sensor
p1776 is usually caused by a faulty valve body
p0841, same thing, usually caused by a faulty valve body.

replacing the harness will result in nothing more than wasted time, you have internal transmission problems. you can go to a salvage yard and swip a valve body and put it in there, erase the codes and see where your at. without me personaly having a scanner in hand on your car, its hard to pinpoint a tansmission problem. you need to look at clutch volumes and other stored and active parameters, but i believe..if it were mine. i'de be putting a valve body in it for starters.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

When replacing the valve body, replace the filter too. no matter if you just service it.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 AM
houndog
Amateur

Do I have to look for a valve bodyfroman '02 transmission with 3.5 engine? Or will a 98-02 with 2.7 work? jc...I do appreciate your help.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
subhasis

Originally Posted by houndog
I have an 02 intrepid ES with 3.5, 122K. All of a sudden the trans dropped into 2nd when I stopped. It would not shift out of 2nd until I stopped and turned the car off. The engine light came on. When the engine is cold and I drive for a while the trans shifts ok. When the car gets warm and I stop the trans drops into 2nd again. I drove 2 miles to the freeway without any problem, drove 50 miles on the freeway without slowing low enough for the trans to shift down. When I came to a stop the trans dropped into 2nd and wouldn't shift. A trans man said he thought it could be the wiring harness. Dodge gets over $400 for the harness. Was thinking of trying one from a wrecking yard for $100 just because if that wasn't the problem I would be out $400. Do I have to get a harness that matches my engine. Are the 2.7 and 3.5 trans the same. I need help. jc
I have the exact same car with about 126k miles and have the exact same problem and same 3 codes. Were you able to solve the problem. If yes, then please advise me too. Can you plese reply me in subhasis.behera@gmail.com. Thanks in advance,

Subhasis

Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM
turn60andrun

I have a 2003 Neon SXT and I'm not sure this is the same issue, not really knowledgeable about transmissions. I have 115K on the car and have had this 2nd tranny since 2007, which was out of the crate, brand new..issue is, when I come to a stop it seems to either kick into another gear not sure if it is higher or lower but is a good kick..any suggestions? thank you

Quick Reply: transmission question