2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

P 1684?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 AM
ocelot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P 1684?

The other day i was driving home from work and the car just died, the rpm's were jumping for about 30 seconds then just died.

After that i did the OBD and I got a trouble code P 1684, now i've found 3 different problems for one code such as:
"Battery disconnected in last 50 starts"
something to do with the oil pump sensor
and a problem with the MAP sensor

My question is, which one, if any, is the true problem associated with that code.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 AM
deezozdodge
Professional
Default RE: P 1684?

The p01684 just lets you know just what is states (that can be cleared)
Disconnect your negative battery cable and replace the oil pump sensor and MAP sensor.
However, wait for another reply from someone else on this post or search around for a message that has the same problem before performing work.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
ronb

Pretty sure P1684 just means that the battery has been disconnected within the past 50 starts

Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Acording to the service manual, ronb is correct, the bat has been disconnected .... This is not a fault that will cause a malfunction, nor will it cause the engine malfunction light to come on. Are there any other faults present? If not, the computer did not detect the fault that caused the flux/shutdowm. There can be a number of faults that cause an engine to flux and die, many are fuel related.

A few questions:

Did it start back up right away or at all?
If it did, has it malfunctioned again?
If so, how frequently?
How many miles on the car?
Have you ever changed the fuel filter?
How much gas was in the tank and when did it occur with respect to your last gas fill up?Discribe when and what happened in detail, maybe I (or someone else) can help...just give more info.

Kurt

Old 07-17-2008, 01:54 AM
ocelot

the same thing had happened over a year ago, all that was the MAP sensor plug was loose. this time the sensor plug was on tight.
this time around there are no other faults present other the P 1684.

after the car died, it wouldn't start again, i had gotten it started a day after but it didn't run for long, if i took my foot off the gas it would just die out again. theres roughly 252 500 kms on it, and i had just filled up the tank as it was only 1/4 full before.

I haven't changed the fuel filter since i've owned it.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

When my MAP sensor went bad, there was no fault because it hung up (stuck) internally. The PCM assumed the value was correct and it adjusted the timing way out (rugh run/stall) based on that value. If you suspect that it's sticking, just unplug it. The PCM will set a fault (because it's disconnected) and use an avagereg default value. You sould be able to start the engine and drive it with a "light foot."

If this does not help, I'd suspect the fuel as you just filled up... try an adative (gas drier etc) AND you need to change that filter! If you have a fuel pressure gauge, you could hook up to the rail.

PS if the MAP is the prob, you still need to change that filter!!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:22 PM
ocelot

So i went and unplugged the MAP sensor, she started up fine but didn't run for too long.
and now im getting another trouble code P 0123. Now the car won't start at all.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

P0123 is the throttle poss sensor. Are you sure the it was the MAP you unplugged? Anyway, if you plug it back in, and reset the memory (either a scan tool, or disco the bat for 10 min), the light will go out. It will also go away after so many key cycles.

Go to the top of the second gen forum and see the post "the holy grail" in it is a copy of the service manual. in it, you can find the correct location of the MAP sensor. You can try it again and let me know.

Kurt

Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 AM
deezozdodge
Professional

Replace MAP sensor and oil pump sensor, because those were the first codes that popped up. If you want to be sure, change your throttle possition sensor as well.

Quick Reply: P 1684?