2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Just bought a 2005 Dodge Neon and have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 AM
NewNeonOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 2005 Dodge Neon and have a problem

This is also the first car I've ever bought. Not my first car, but my last car was a total junker with a ton of problems. This is my first decent car I plan to keep for a long time.

I've had it less than 24 hours and ran into a problem. When driving up to the store a bit ago it stalled on me when I tried to accelerate and the oil light came on, I parked it, started it back and no problems, and no light. But it did this about 3 times. The store is just a block away so I was able to make it up there and back by just not accelerating too hard (no oil light came up). On the way back I tried to accelerate again and it seemed to stall again or miss, but then a couple seconds later kicked in. The problem then stopped and the car was fine. Just now I went out and tried accelerating while it was in park and it was able to go past the point it stalled at before up to the max (I'm sure my neighbors aren't happy)

I don't know much at all about cars. I'm planning on taking this to a mechanic soon to get it a once over, just didn't plan to tomorrow. Is there a possibility there was something in the oil line that fixed itself? It's the oil light that came on after it stalled which scared me. I checked the oil and it's fine, they must have filled it before I drove it off. Could it just be something from it sitting on a lot for awhile?

My last car was a lemon. About 3 months after buying it it just started falling apart out from under me and it was a total nightmare. It would constantly stall on me and I had it towed so often AAA sent me a letter saying they wouldn't do it anymore. So I'm really worried now I bought a lemon.

**edit**

Ok, I just drove it up the street a bit and accelerated it up to the spot it was stalling and past and no problems. Still has me worried though.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Default RE: Just bought a 2005 Dodge Neon and have a problem

how many miles on the car?

I bought a used 2004 just last August with around 44,000 miles on it..and had some stumbling under acceleration happen about 2 months ago... ended up replacing the plugs and wires..
don't know if this is something covered under a warranty, by I just bit the bullit and did it myself for under 30 bucks.
Just because the oil light comes on doesn't necsisarily mean it has to do with the oil system... when the idle gets too low for whatever reason, the oil light may come on because the pressure gets too low.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 PM
snare_samn
Professional

So what exactly did you have to buy/replace to fix the problem, Pablodragon?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

just like I said.... went toi Auto zone and bought the set of plug wires, (there are 4)... think I got a lifetime quarantee set for like $25... and 4 of the stock (champion) spark plugs for like 3 or 4 bucks... just replace one at a time...each wire and spark plug...
the wires are easy, they just pull off, each end... the plugs themselves you need a long extansion on a rachect with the standard spark plug socket... cuz they go thru the top of the valave cover, way down

Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 PM
gm830
Rookie

i dunno anything about cars either but i hope u at least got a carfax report before buying it, i'm pretty sure they take responsibility for it if the car they say is good turns out to have a problem. i know it's no use now, but just for future reference..

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2005 Dodge Neon and have a problem