2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

audio question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 AM
867neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio question

i was recently given some 6"x9" (rear) and 6.5"(door) 230w pioneer premier speakers which i (with some help) installed in my car, though i do like the way it sounds, i was thinking of getting something with a lil bit more "power" to it, and i was thinking of buying some new speakers and probably a sub. my friend told me that i could just buy an amp to make the sound a lil bit more "nicer", and thats where my question comes, would the amp help? or would i be better off buying new speakers (and an amp?) or just buy the amp or just buy new speakers? and if so, what would you reccomend me buying? i just want a decent sound. the whole neighborhood dont need to know what i'm listening to.
this questions might sound dumb, but it's needless to say thati know nothing about this.

thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM
contagious19
Champion
Default RE: audio question

well da speakers dat u got now should work good. if u want a little more power to them u can get a small 4 channel amp and connect all ur speakers to the amp and they should sound a lot clearer, and u will need to get another amp for some subs, or u can save some money and buy tweeters. And yea da amp would help.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 PM
AirWolf

Hey contagious thats what I need to know also so if I go with 4 ways do I need an amp also and how about if I switch to a indash dvd player . I dont want to get subs forsure .

Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM
contagious19
Champion

4 ways are good, but it all depends on da stereo dat u get or have and u dont want subs u said, well i assume all u want is clear sound and if u get a indash, ur going to need to hook it up to a amp if u want best quality sound. most speakers always sound better dan stock but if u want da speakers potential den a amp is recommended or go cheap and but tweeters.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
RestrictXXX

Alright check this out... First, what kind of cd player do you have? Another question is what kind of sound are you looking for? A cd player pushes about 18 watts rms, which isn't much, so at a certain point it will start to distort. What a amp will do (even a small one) is it cleans up the sound and makes it able to crank the volume and maintain clarity and cleanes at higher volume levels. The pioneer speakers are great for good mids and highs. If deaper bass is all you are missing you need to get a subwoofer, b/c door speakers alot of times won't give you the deaper bass sound and feeling you might be looking for. I know how you said that you didn't want to be hurd down the block, and thats fine, just do a decent 10 inch woofer and you will add in real great with your door speakers, but won't over power them. The only thing that up-grading to better speakers will do is: Give you better clarity, tighter mid-bass, cleaner sound, alittle deeper bass output. adding a small 4 channel amp would help with sound but a subwoofer will fill in the deaper bass that you can't get out of door speakers.I hope all this might help you. Alot of ppl might try to tell you different that you need 4-ways or more power, but I have been doing this for 7 years and I work full-time at a dedicated car audio and video shop. What a system is all about, is: how much you want to spend, and what you want it to sound like. If your looking for a good subwoofer for the money, check out the new pioneer premiers TS-W1007D4, its a realy tight sub and has good bass output. I put one in a Lexus Ls430 and it sounded realy good. As far as amps you haev so many to choose from. Just let me know what you realy want your system to sound like and how much you are wanting to spend and I will help ya out man.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Kapitald
Captain

Yeah...getting new speakers won't help anything unless you put the power to them and thats why you need a amp...a 4 channel amp is the best way to go to power all four speakers....however, you can get a 2 channel and just power the 2 6X9's in the back...you will of course need a more powerful amp for a sub because it is simple a really big powerful speaker...our factory oem speakers sound pretty good if you get a new aftermarket cd player...the only ones i changed out were the tweeters in the dash...

Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
AirWolf

My cd player was pioneers best for last year I got it on clearance for 250 bucks so I guess I will go with all 4 ways and a 4 channel amp for when I change to a indash dvd .

Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 PM
contagious19
Champion

hey guys, have u put any speakers in ur dash? do u think 3 1/2" speakers fit in da dash?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Fantasticle
Rookie

there are stock tweeters already there, well at least in mine, Im pretty sure that they are 3" 1/2 but if you wanna know for sure go to crutchfield.com enter in all your info (make model year) and it will give you a list of what size speakers will fit in your car.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:27 PM
RestrictXXX

they are 3's but, they are very thin. I have JL XR653cs 3 way components, I have the mid-bas 4 inch driver where the factory tweeter slot is, and I have my tweeter mouted right beside it. You can put up to a 4 inch right there, but you have to cut alittle plastic under the grill and take out the bracket on the left one that holds the tweeter in place.

Quick Reply: audio question