Aftermarket steering wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Pablodragon
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket steering wheel!

here's a quandry....

she said it is a show car... how bout all the 60's and 70's Muscle cars out there?.. do they add air-bags to these, whether it's a show car or a weekend or daily driver?... those things have gotta be some of the fastest things on the road, and I don't think any of them have air-bags...? Just because it's a 2005 show car instead of a 1975 show car, she cant put on a new steering wheel?

just throwin it out there... I do agree that if it has an air-bag, might as well use it...[sm=rolleyes.gif]

Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

yes it is a show car, but i may be wrong but i think it is still driven around regularly. i also am not a fan of aftermarket steering wheels too so ehh. i know they do do good in shows, but i wouldnt sacrafice safety for that

Old 04-25-2007, 01:07 AM
AirWolf

Going with safety 1st I can still make my steering wheel custom and show worthy. I have a racing steering wheel on my 1st gen though and was thinkin about rebuilding a 65 stang instead of getting a srt4 way faster and cooler to rebuild a classic than I would get a billitt style steering wheel for that.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 AM
contagious19
Champion

like u said 60's and 70's muscle cars. they made those cars wit strong steel and ours are like fiberglass. if u get in a accident wit a muscle car, dan ur car is totalled wen da muscle car just needs a new bumber or sumtin

Old 04-25-2007, 03:35 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

speaking of 60s cars...
ok, there are 3 impacts during a car accident.
1. your car hitting whatever
2. your body hitting the car (hopefully seatbelt or airbag... not the dash or windshield)
3. impact of your internal organs impacting inside your body

so #3 we cant help too much. body stops and everything inside wants to keep going. we can refer to laws of motion here

but steps 1 and 2 are the paramount concern. hence airbags, slow the body more gradually than a sudden stop against a steeringwheel.
modern cars are designed with the drive in mind. hence crumple zones. true newer cars are destroyed easily in an accident. but that is the car absorbing the impact so our bodies dont have to. fact is if your body is going 60mph i would rather it take a few split seconds to decellerate to a stop than instantly. its like dropping a glass on padded carpet diningroom floorvs. a concrete garage floor. its much more likely to shatter on the garage floor cuzthere is noting to absorb the impact and 'slow' the glass down gradually.
just my .02 on that subject... im dont rambling now

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheel!