Default RE: AIR INTAKES THAT DONT MOUNT DOWN INTO WHEEL WELL

some people are just stubborn

Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

calm down kids ill solve this!!!

short ram will do nothing if you want it for the sound, fine, get it, but name brand doesnt matter. k&n is slightly better because of the little heat shield, but other than that they will not help. the stock intake is in a sense a cold air intake because it sucks up air from the fender. cold air will not hurt the engine. no matter how cold you think you will be somwhere, you will never find air too cold for the engine. as a matter of fact, colder is better because fuel burns slower, therefore, more power out of each stroke, giving more power to the wheels overall. maybe you are worried about going in snow and sucking up some water and going into hydrolock. if that is the case, aem makes a bypass, which will suck in air if the filter is submerged. it does however, rob horsepower from the intake and lower efficiency from the cold air opposed to one that does not have the bypass , but it will be completely safe. some people that live with snow or rain drive with it and have no problems. personally i take my cold air (made from pvc which is better than all of the other intakes such as aem because it does not heat up, therefore, retaining efficiency of the intake) out in the winter because i want to be super safe, and it is a 5 min job. in winter, i have a "ram air: which is in itself, the filter right on the throttle body and a little bracket holding it up. (if you are too lazy to make a good one, a coat hanger will work fine). people keep bickering back and forth. THOSE ARE THE FACTS EVERYONE NEEDS TO STOP CRYING AND TALKING CRAP ABOUT EACHOTHER. THIS FORUM IS FOR HELP, NOT TO SAY THIS PERSON IS STUPID!!! well theres my$.02

Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Biged83
Captain

dude thats what most of uswere saying

Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

hey thats what i said!!! YEAH ME!!! now i feel smart!!![sm=closed.gif]

Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Biged83
Captain

i said it too

Old 04-24-2007, 08:23 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Hey guys, I have been running a AEM true cold air intake (wheel well) in my 2000 dodge neon for about 6 months, and it went perfectly well right through the winter, and I live here in Maine. To tell you, it actually worked really good in fridgid conditions! If you are skeptical of running a true cold air intake though, I at one point did run the short ram cold air intake from K&N for about 4 months. It was the FIPK generation 2. It comes with a heat shield, and mounts directly where the stock airbox sits. I will say though, that it doesn't work nearly as effective as the true cold air intake, or sound nearly as amazing as the true cold air intake, I will never go back to short ram lol!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:43 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Yes sir. I would agree with that. I ran with a kn filter on my throttle body for about a year and a half before i bought a "real" cold air intake. And as mike said I bent a piece of steel to hold up the throttle body. I noticed a little bit of a performance difference or so I thought. It could have been just noise. A real cold air intake definitely made a difference though. Which I've been running for almost 2 years now. I've driven through about 2 feet of snow and probably somewhere around 4-6 inches of water and have no problems. Its been through temps below zero to around 100. It has basically seen it all and it runs perfectly fine all the time. Just save yourself some time and get the real thing. Either make one yourself or buy one. But don't both with a short ram, it doesn't do much other then make a little more noise and MAYBE get you a little more power.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:36 PM
l_pillon
Professional

no one is listening..if u look in the k&n intake general instructions there is a warning stating that its not ideal for cold weather conditions. i live in canada. and if the cai got wet n froze then i wouldnt be gettin the proper air and the engine will start throwin codes and theres a potential for damage...thats all i was tryin to say but people chose to start sending responses without reading what i was trying to say and it turned into a huge arguement....now people are making comments aboujt things ive never asked them...in cold whether i mean real cold weather the cai is not ideal in those conditions as far as being the wheel well mounted ones cuz theres potential for bad things to happen...thats all i was tryin to say...end of discussion....now i bet people are gonna argue some more about this so lets leave this alone....

Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Hey man, lol and no I am not trying to be argumentative with you at all. Just trying to help you out. I know what your saying with the cold temperatures, and I do recognize there is a warning label on the k&n package of the cold temperature dealio. But here in Maine is no warm place either, we have just as lethal cold temperatures during the winter. I drove my neon in some really fridgid temperatures this winter, even as cold as 10 below zero! And she ran great! Here in Maine we get some sweltering weather too, frequently over 95 degrees in the dead of summer, so we see it all here, and the cold air intake has yet to be non effective no matter what the temperature. I really just want you to know that the cold air intake is hardly a big deal man, and I think you will regret not running it, otherwise I don't think it's worth putting anything else in there. As of now I run a AEM true cold air intake that goes into a MPx 60mm throttle body, and the combo remains lethal throughout the thick of the deadly cold winters here, as well as the heart stopping summer heats. Go with the true cold air intake brother, you won't regret it, it won't screw with your computer man, and it really gives the neon a nice little boost in the butt during higher rmps, its really nice!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:35 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: l_pillon

no one is listening..if u look in the k&n intake general instructions there is a warning stating that its not ideal for cold weather conditions. i live in canada. and if the cai got wet n froze then i wouldnt be gettin the proper air and the engine will start throwin codes and theres a potential for damage...thats all i was tryin to say but people chose to start sending responses without reading what i was trying to say and it turned into a huge arguement....now people are making comments aboujt things ive never asked them...in cold whether i mean real cold weather the cai is not ideal in those conditions as far as being the wheel well mounted ones cuz theres potential for bad things to happen...thats all i was tryin to say...end of discussion....now i bet people are gonna argue some more about this so lets leave this alone....
cold weather conditions as in if you are driving through snow, and it is completely submerged, it will suck up water, and screw your engine over. that is very unlikely to happen, but they are covering their own *** so in the off chance that it does happen, you cannot sue them. real cold weather like maybe 15 outside and then -something with the wind chill of having the air rushed into the intake if it is in the fender will not hurt the engine, because it has not hurt mine. i had mine on for the begining of the winter before it snowed and i was fine. if it is cold enough for the water to freeze on the filter, there wont be any water to freeze, and if there is, they are oil filters, and the water wont stick long enough to freeze. hope that answers your actual question. sory for the confusion

Quick Reply: AIR INTAKES THAT DONT MOUNT DOWN INTO WHEEL WELL