2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

17" tires and exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Rune
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17" tires and exhaust question

I did as good a search as I could and didnt find anything around what Im about to ask...

But, Ive asked about 17" tires for my '05 SXT and I get a wide variety of answers. One dood told me it should be fine and wont have to mod anything, one guy told me that it will rub in the wheelwell, and one guy gave me a whole damn lecture on how my speedometer will not be right, it wont fit, that i need the correct size everything or else my contact and turning radius will be bad...im just confused with all of this. Could someone set me straight?
And as far as an exhaust goes, Id like to get me a dual on my Neon because frankly I cannot STAND the sound of a damn fart can. Any reccomendations? Or should I just find a stock SRT4 exhaust and throw it on there.
But anyways yeah, thats what Im wondering about and I know you fine chap's will help me out with this one. Id trust fellow dodge enthusiasts who have actually experienced what Im trying to do as opposed to some ricky retard who thinks he knows it all because he pwned Gran Tourismo 4. Fankew!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 AM
j_son600
Veteran
Default RE: 17" tires and exhaust question

I am running 17s with 205/40ZR17 tires and no problems here even with being lowered quite a bit so IMO 17s are fine. As far as exhaust I have heard that the dual exhaust from Vibrant sounds good. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:02 PM
hokiefan104
Record Breaker

i have the dual exhaust from vibrant (its just the axle back though) it sounds great but looks a little awkward. might look better with a lip kit. i wouldn't reccomend the stock SRT-4 since there is no muffler and i have heard it can be rather loud (don't know what kind of noise restrictions you may have in your area). i think a few people on here have gotten the dual that comes on the R/T. and from what i have heard about the pacesetter dual is that it doesn't sound too great and tends to rust.

as far as the lecture about your speedometer being wrong, if I remember correctly it will through it off, but this is something that can be re-programmed so I don't see what the problem would be. (someone can correct me on this if i am wrong)

Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

the the rims, you want to make sure that the rim is 17x7 or less (17x6.5 etc) and the offset is +35. dont go higher than that on stock suspension. for tires, stick with 205/40ZR17 dont go any bigger than 205 or 40, or you will rub. an srt exhause will fit perfectly, but it will be really really loud. magnaflow and vibrant make good exhausts that are duals. also, you could get a r/t muffler, it will be quiet though.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i have 17's and my car is lowered a good 2 inches. never heard about the speedometer being off so that's news to me, anyway, my tires do not rub at all so you should be fine. As for dual exhaust, i have the magnaflow cat back and it sounds awesome, i should be a magnaflow promoter lol lol. have not heard much about the vibrant personally but from what i have read here, its pretty good. i used to have a fart can because my cousin begged me to put it on saying it would sound good, that my friend is a no no lol, it just sounds weak IMO. i have a vid of my exhaust and what it sounds like. if you want to see it just PM me.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Go to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to compare tire sizes to see how much different sized tires will throw your speedometer off. You put stock tire size in one and then on the other one you put the size you would like to change to and it will show you how much your speedometer will be off. I don't know what is hard to understand about if you switch wheel and tire size that your speedometer won't be off. Of course it will be. I am personally going to get 215/40/17 tires when I replace what I have now. I want some more meat on my rims. And your car will not turn quite as sharp with wider tires on there, but its not like its a huge difference.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:44 PM
contagious19
Champion

cool my speedometer is right even wit da 17s. Its onlly .1% difference and 17's wont rub wit da 205/40, I thought they were wen i got my rims but dey didnt. And about da exhaust i personally like magnaflow.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:21 PM
AirWolf

Me Im going with 225/40/18s and 18x8 in rims for my sxt I have the srt4 exhaust with glasspack so not that loud at all very nice tone and the cheapest exhaust setup you can get thats dual tipped. But yeah to be safe youd better go with everyones tire and rims size . I may have to get what everyone else is gettin to be on the safe side and still looks good for shows.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Rune

I love you guys. Everything sounds good to me. Ive been wanting to do the Magnaflow dual catback, but its all out of my price range right now unfortunately, but ill get there. One last question though, do I lose any power or acceleration with 17's on there?

Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

you can get the magnaflow pretty cheap on ebay, i got mine direct from the company, how i don't know but i only paid about $380.

Quick Reply: 17" tires and exhaust question