2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

M/T won't go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
loocsissor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M/T won't go into reverse

Last night, I backed out of my driveway and everything was fine. When I came home and went to back into my driveway, my transmission won't go into reverse. All forward gears work properly, just feels like there's a wall stopping me from getting it into reverse. When I get close, it pops me into 4th. Any ideas? BTW, it's a 2001 Neon R/T manual.

Thanks for any help!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:24 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Default RE: M/T won't go into reverse

Check your shift linkages on your shifter and also on your tranny itself. I had one of my bushings on my shifter not completely pushed on it and I had a hell of a time putting it in 3rd gear. Just check and make sure bushings are in good shape and everything looks normal.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they are still connected then try pushing the clutch down while giving it some gas and keep is at a steady rpm while trying to put it in and letting off the clutch very very very slowly.... make sure theres nothing behind you btw....

Old 05-22-2007, 02:33 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Izero

if they are still connected then try pushing the clutch down while giving it some gas and keep is at a steady rpm while trying to put it in and letting off the clutch very very very slowly.... make sure theres nothing behind you btw....
Why should he do that? WTF is that going to do? He can't physically get it to go into that gear so what difference is that going to make? Its one of two problems. 1.) something to do with his shift linkage or bushings either on the tranny or shifter itself or 2.) something internally in the tranny is busted.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol yea well when u bring the engines revs up and let off the clutch as you are part of the way into gear you can force the trans to shift.... thats what thats going to do....... but if it isnt the bushings or the linkage then i'd say its the syncro.....

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 AM
lblackneon
Champion

I'd say it's your shift cable. My car stopped going into reverse and that was my problem.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Mofugga101

I have the same exact problem on my 2001 neon. I took off the center console and the linkage is busted. So I have to buy a new cable for about $130 from the dealer.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 PM
hardrock086

my car just did this today, the bushing which sits in the linkage to move the shift fork is gone. I am not sure if it is available seperately from the linkage, but will find out tomorrow

Old 11-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Kath
Rookie

sounds like the linkage/cable.

if the synchro was shot, then what Izero said would be the way to work around it. once upon a time I had a geo metro, and reverse wasn't synchro'd at all in that car. it would sometimes refuse to go into reverse, and you had to do just what Izero said, kinda grind it into gear. It can sound scary, but some cars from many decades ago often worked this way. but... if your synchro isn't busted (unlikely for reverse), its probably linkage/cable.

hmm, i forget now, does the neon have a blocker which prevents shifting into reverse when your traveling forward at speed? I can't recall off the top of my head. if so, that could be what's broken too.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:29 PM
InPsychOut

Originally Posted by hardrock086
my car just did this today, the bushing which sits in the linkage to move the shift fork is gone. I am not sure if it is available seperately from the linkage, but will find out tomorrow
Check out THIS LINK for replacement bushings. While you're replacing one, you might as well do both at the shifter and both at the transmission. Easy job, and if one has gone, they probably all will soon enough. $22 I think for all 4 bushings shipped.

Quick Reply: M/T won't go into reverse