2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Sawhiskey
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

Can I take my stock UDP off an machine it lighter, would that help with performance?? Just a thought.... Since I work in a machine/welding shop, I can do anything I want, anyone got any project ideas for me.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
nswap7
Captain

see but i dont plan on putting a system in mine, so would it be a good idea? id go with mpx probably

Old 06-09-2007, 11:03 PM
lblackneon
Champion

Go for it.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i have two 12" Alpine subs in my car, would it bea wise choice to stray away from the UDP. I love my system lol

Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 AM
nswap7
Captain

based on whats said, id think you should stay away..lol

Old 06-10-2007, 04:39 AM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: neon03se

i have two 12" Alpine subs in my car, would it be a wise choice to stray away from the UDP. I love my system lol
Based on my experience with the sound system I would say stay away from it. Like I said earlier, the smaller the diameter of the udp the less power it sends to the alternator and power steering pump. The lighter the udp the faster the car will rev. All regular aftermarket udps are smaller in diameter and lighter than stock.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

you still have your system am i correct? you just ordered a customized UDP or am i mistaken?

Old 06-10-2007, 04:49 PM
AirWolf

I have a customized under drive pulley for my sxt that I got locally and a optima red top battery just incase for my upcoming new sound system . As long as you get a bigger battery your system will be alright.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:43 PM
lblackneon
Champion

ORIGINAL: AirWolf

I have a customized under drive pulley for my sxt that I got locally and a optima red top battery just incase for my upcoming new sound system . As long as you get a bigger battery your system will be alright.
That's not true. Your system will be fine but the battery wont. That's the whole issue we're discussing. If your alternator isn't charging your battery correctly, having a larger battery just means that it'll last longer than a cheaper battery.
With my AFX udp and sound system, I've had regular batteries and the Optima REd top. The regular batteries just got drained faster than my Optima REd top. I tried to purchase a Optima yellow top and I didn't get it b/c they wouldn't have given me warranty b/c my alternator wasn't sending enough charge to my battery.
Like I said, I just got a UDP customized to work with my sound system from Modern Performance. Anybody will tell you that people don't purchase the regular (lighter and smaller in diameter) udps if they have sound systems. They normally don't mess with udps at all. I'm just customizing that udp to be lighter and with the same diameter as stock. That just makes the car rev. faster.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sawhiskey

Can I take my stock UDP off an machine it lighter, would that help with performance?? Just a thought.... Since I work in a machine/welding shop, I can do anything I want, anyone got any project ideas for me.
yes but you will have to make sure its balanced PERFECTLY or you will end up with some major problems... like the belt comming off b/c the pulley will be wobbling or it could cause the belt to wear and then snap prematurely which would be bad.... so if you really want to make it lighter make sure the machine shop balances it to perfection......

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?