2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Strut Install How To??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:51 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Install How To??

Hey guys, I will be installing my Tokico Struts on Saturday! I will be doing it on my own with a buddy of mineand was wondering what tools would be needed and if there is a how to write up or anything. I have never done it before and would like to have an easy installation, that would not take forever to finish. I haven't been able to find a how to, maybe someone has one written up or has seen one before. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 AM
neon 05
Captain
Default RE: Strut Install How To??

Tools needed
- sockets: 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm deep, 21mm regular.
- spring compressor.
- an air wrench helps A LOT!

front Here goes

1) Loosen the front wheel nuts (19mm). With blocks at the back tires and e-brake fully up, jack up the car from the front motor mount/bumper. when it is high enough, place jack stands in the appropriate place (the frame?) under the car. Remove the tire.

2) Remove the hose routing bracket bolt 10mm from the back (already removed in this pic).

3) Remove the 2 steering knuckle to strut assembly nuts. 21mm. The bolt part is serrated and shouldn't be turned during removal. You may want someone to hold the bolts stationary while you undo the nuts. Pull out the bolt when the nut is removed.

4) Remove the strut assembly mounting bolts. 13mm

5) pull out the strut.

6) Install spring compressors on spring.

7) compress spring until the top of the spring moves freely.

8) Remove the strut shaft retaining bolt. 21mm. The strut shaft may turn while you're removing this nut, so you'll need to hold the shaft while removing this nut. I used an impact wrench, so I didn't need to hold the shaft. there might be an area where you can use a 10mm socket to hold it.. sorry, I didn't look. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to let me know and send some pics.

9) Take it apart.

Warning! Don't pull the strut pivot bearing apart (white & yellow thing. White on top). You may regret it if you're not careful. It's full of ball bearings! I think I dropped/lost 2 bearings.. hope it's ok.

rear STRUT ASSEMBLY REMOVAL
(1) Raise vehicle, I use the rear crossmember as a good lifting point, and place on jackstands.
(2) Remove the rear wheel and tire.
(3) Remove hydraulic flex hose bracket, from bracket on rear strut assembly. If vehicle is equipped with Anti-Lock brakes, the wheel speed sensor cable routing clip is also attached to the strut assembly bracket.
(4) Support rear knuckle, suspension and brake components of vehicle before removing clevis bracket
to knuckle attaching bolts. Do not let weight of rear knuckle and assembled components hang unsupported when strut is removed.
CAUTION: The knuckle to strut assembly attaching bolts are serrated and must not be turned during
removal. Remove nuts while holding bolts stationary in knuckle.
(5) Remove the 2 clevis bracket bolts attaching strut assembly to rear knuckle.
(6) Lower vehicle. Access to rear upper strut mount to strut tower attaching bolts, is through the
trunk of the vehicle.
(7) Remove carpet (if required) from top of strut tower. Then remove rubber dust shield from top of strut tower, this will allow easier access to upper strut mount attaching nuts.
(8) Loosen but do not remove the 4 upper strut mount to strut tower attaching nuts. Then while supporting the strut assembly fully remove the 4 strut mount attaching nuts.
(9) Remove strut assembly from knuckle, by sliding knuckle out of clevis bracket on strut assembly. Then remove strut assembly from vehicle.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:20 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

is this from a 1st gen or second gen?

Old 06-19-2007, 05:26 AM
contagious19
Champion

wow good write up, i need to order some tokico blues

Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 AM
neon 05
Captain

basically they the same in strut if you compare the pics to your ride its tha same just the 2 gen dunt have a hose is like a ground..

Old 06-19-2007, 09:45 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

thanks a lot neon05, i really appreciate it i'm sure this is gonna help a lot! i'll try to take pictures of my install to sort of give some updated pics. Tokico blues? i'm assuming those are the ones i ordered? got em from modern

Old 06-20-2007, 02:08 AM
neon 05
Captain

dem blues are sweet, thats a good investment you wont feel your ride on the road when its lowered!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/m_713268/tm.htmtheir is some info from 03neonrt, it worked great and was not that hard!!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
neon 05
Captain

using a 1/2 shocket is a pain in the ahole ..

Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i forgot to ask you guys....do the tokicos from modern lower the car anymore? wouldn't really mind it but not really looking for more of a drop, just some good shocks

Quick Reply: Strut Install How To??