2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Good recomnedation to pple with ATX Neons.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 01:25 AM
neonxst05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good recomnedation to pple with ATX Neons.

This is to the proud owners of the ATX Neons. If you have an extra 60 to 150 dollars to invest into your neon, than I highly recomend installing the auxilary transmission cooler. As soon as the cooler was put on I noticed quicker and snappier shifts and better responce from the powertrain. My car has only 26K on it, I can clearly compare the performance.

The trans cooler can be put on in two ways, either you or a mechanic. If you go with the mechanic option, it will cost you about 150 bucks, if you go DIY then it can cost you between 40-60 bucks depending where you shop. Just make the cooler is installed in the most efficient sequence as follows: Engine--> Radiator--> Aux. Cooler--> Engine. If you got Questions please ask.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 AM
PICKLEZ
Professional
Default RE: Good recomnedation to pple with ATX Neons.

I got a question.....i have this rash in between my toes, do you think it could be athletes foot??? It itches wicked!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
AirWolf

ORIGINAL: neonxst05

This is to the proud owners of the ATX Neons. If you have an extra 60 to 150 dollars to invest into your neon, than I highly recomend installing the auxilary transmission cooler. As soon as the cooler was put on I noticed quicker and snappier shifts and better responce from the powertrain. My car has only 26K on it, I can clearly compare the performance.

The trans cooler can be put on in two ways, either you or a mechanic. If you go with the mechanic option, it will cost you about 150 bucks, if you go DIY then it can cost you between 40-60 bucks depending where you shop. Just make the cooler is installed in the most efficient sequence as follows: Engine--> Radiator--> Aux. Cooler--> Engine. If you got Questions please ask.
Only thing I havent done to my auto sxt yet so I guess I will be putting on a trans cooler . Thanks for the info.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM
BDM
Veteran

Where did you buy it, and can you describe how to install it a bit better? I'd difinately buy one!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:51 PM
neonxst05
Rookie

Well I was actually lazy and went to Mr. Transmission. They got me the cooler and the install for 150 bucks. The cooler brand is Hayden. I watched them install it so I know how it goes. They took the bottom black plastic that runs to the bumber for support, that way they had full access to the radiator. The cooler came with a hose that they cut to an appropriate length. You will have to clamp the hoses on the cooler before you mount it. The cooler was placed on the right side of the radiator by the pcm. The cooler mounts right on the surface of your radiator with these two plastic pull-through mounts that come in the kit. The mounts are like a zip ties that go thought the radiator fins and the fins of the cooler. you tighten them up by hand usually. With the cooler in place you will have to move on to the transmission lines. The guys that did my car picked the shortest tube that runs from the transmission to the radiator right in front of the tranny oil pan. You have to get a tube cutter and cut that metal elbow out, right by the radiator. Make sure you have some fluid to replace the loss durring the install. Then just tie one of the cooler hoses into the radiator fitting, it will be the tube you just cut and clamp it down. Take the other cooler hose and plug it into the hose from the transmission. Make sure all the fitting are tight. NOTE: when you route the cooler hoses, run them through the two little bars that support the PCM module. That way you will not have really tight bends in the hose. I noticed the hoses flexed because of the high pressures, so went ahead and put on wire loom/split tubing on the hoses so they dont nick or cut, just in case. Fire up your car in park and watch for leaks. If no leaks replace the bottom bumber piece and you are good to go after you make sure fluid level is good.

You can find coolers in many sizes, mine a long rectangullar shaped cooler that is mounted vertical. I saw them do this in the shop and it only took an hour to do. So if you have all the right tools you can do it yourself in about the same time.

If I missed anything please ask.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Somethingdirty
Professional

Hmm, I've been tempted to get a Trans. Cooler, even more so now with my turbo project.

My only problem is wondering if it will get in the way of the setup I.E Intercooler, etc.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:00 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

Very cool... That is what's so nice about these cars, you do anything to them and it makes a difference!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 PM
neonxst05
Rookie

I dont think it will get in the way of the intercooler, the trans cooler sits pretty much flush with the Radiator and I dont think it sticks out beyond the Vertical reinforcment bars that run in center in front of the radiator. You can get these really long type coolers that look like 2by4s that I have seen people mount on top of their intercoolers. You just have to dig arround for them and see, there is such a large variety of coolers out there I am sure you can find the kind you need. I know that you can get a cooler that its own fan so dont have to mount it in front on the radiator.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Somethingdirty
Professional

Nice, very good to know. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Exubus
Champion

Just beware of winter driving... cooler fluid can actually hurt your ATX depending on your driving, especially when it's really cold. In cold weather those "quicker and snappier shifts" can actually be the effect of your clutch packs chewing themselves up... not trying to scare anyone, but just keep in mind that (duh) heat is a bad thing, but there is also such a thing as too cool when it comes to tranny fluid (I know, I've been there done that and found out the hard way) so keep that in mind for you northern drivers before you stick a 2-gallon radiator in series with your trans lines lol.

Quick Reply: Good recomnedation to pple with ATX Neons.