2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Just Bought A 2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Twan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought A 2005 Dodge Neon SXT

Hey everyone. I just bought an '05 SXT for $12,000 from Carmax. It only has 16,000 miles on it! It's silver. Anyways, I got a few questions.

1) I assume those are 15-in. wheels? I am looking to buy a set of rims. What would the junkyard pay for my old rims once I get the new ones?

2) What exactly is the purpose of an upgraded exhaust system? How hard are these to install?

3) Does it damage my car when I rev it in P? What about when I'm in N?

4) Does this car have some sort of ultra sound system? The bass sounds so good, I don't even know if I'm going to need to buy those subwoofers.

5) What is the 0-60 on this?

6) How hard would it be to put a bumper on it? Something like http://static.zoovy.com/img/stage3mo...ia_kit_red.jpg (except on the Neon, of course) would look awesome.

7) Any suggestions you have?

Old 09-06-2007, 10:20 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran
Default RE: Just Bought A 2005 Dodge Neon SXT

I don't know all the answers to your question.. but I know a few

An upgraded exhaust system would increase your car by a few horsepower depending on how much you're modifying your exhaust... ex. catback, header, or just muffler. Also, some of them would give you a deeper rumble depending on the type of exhaust you get. If you upgrade your exhaust, you should upgrade your intake also... otherwise the intake would be restricted no matter how much you modify your exhaust. Some exhaust are bolt on while others require modification such as welding, etc. Unless you're getting a bolt on... otherwise be prepared to spend some money at the muffler store to have them install it. Although it's better to weld everything rather than bolt on.

When your rev in P it won't damage the engine because the ecu would come in when you reaches about 4,000rpm. In N, you could reach the redline and thus yes dont' let it go past the redline.

Um... i didn't think the bass was all that good... I upgraded the rear and front speakers and got a better sounding system from it. I used to have a 300w sub but it was blown... so I just live without one now... and the car's lighter

Putting a bumper on your car isn't that hard. If it's made specifically for the neon (direct bolt on/match) then it's easy... basically 3 screws underneath (inside the fender and a little hard to reach) on each side and some plastic put in clips in the front middle top. If you're just getting the lip kit then you'll need to do some drilling. Good luck on it

Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Twan

See, I like your front bumper. How much did that cost, did you do it yourself, and where did you buy it?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
contagious19
Champion

i believe he has a stock sxt bumber wit da mopar lip kit on,

Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
AirWolf

His is the mopar lip kit and they are the most popular kit on here and pretty cheap and easy to put on . I can but one for 140 now they are going down where I live comes with front lip and r/t sides and rear bumper and cut outs for a dual exhaust. A nice dual exhaust would be a magnaflow or borla or even a srt exhaust with glasspack. For the sound system I would get 4ways and a amp and a nice headunit.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:19 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Twan

Hey everyone. I just bought an '05 SXT for $12,000 from Carmax. It only has 16,000 miles on it! It's silver. Anyways, I got a few questions.

1) I assume those are 15-in. wheels? I am looking to buy a set of rims. What would the junkyard pay for my old rims once I get the new ones?
A stock SXT has 15" wheels. A junk yard may throw you a couple bucks for the rims, you can also try selling them on Ebay or other Neon forums, but either way your not going to see any real return on them. Best bet is to keep them for winter...

2) What exactly is the purpose of an upgraded exhaust system? How hard are these to install?
The purpose is to have a more free flowing exhaust system. They arent difficult to install at all, and they can be done by the most amature of DIY mechanics in my opinion.

3) Does it damage my car when I rev it in P? What about when I'm in N?
Yes, NEVER rev an automatic in Park or Neutral, you risk causing serious damage to your transmission by doing this.

4) Does this car have some sort of ultra sound system? The bass sounds so good, I don't even know if I'm going to need to buy those subwoofers.
The stock system is actually faily nice from the factory, sound system freaks would obviously disagree...

5) What is the 0-60 on this?
For a stock ATX Neon your looking at a 1/4 mile in the very high 16's, and the 0-60 probably around 8.5-9.0 seconds.

6) How hard would it be to put a bumper on it? Something like http://static.zoovy.com/img/stage3mo...ia_kit_red.jpg (except on the Neon, of course) would look awesome.
Installing a new bumper isnt difficult, nor is adding a lip kit such as the Mopar. To rremove the bumperrs you only need to remove several screws, if you ahve fog lights, disconnect the hookup, and your basically done.

7) Any suggestions you have?
Swap to an MTx, dont rev the engine, ask as many questions as you can think of, be smart when modding (goes along with asking lots of questions), and do as much research as possible when modding.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Twan

What's an MTx?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

MTx = Manual Transaxle (Manual Transmission)
ATx = Automatic Transaxle (Auto Tansmission)

Old 09-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Twan

And can anyone be more specific on what a lip kit is (maybe before/after photos, how do I put a lip kit on?)

Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

My car before the front lip kit (and a bunch of other stuff obviously):

Name:  PICT1361.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  78.7 KB

And my car with the Mopar Lip Kit:

Name:  PICT1375.jpg
Views: 1771