2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Tie rod end

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tie rod end

1.5 inch drop, I have... i'm getting my baby aligned 2mar... do I need a camber kit? and I have stock struts... will I need a damn tie rod end too? >.<

Old 09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

wow, where is everyone? i need answers >.<

Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

I'm not sure about the camber kit... but i don't think you need tie rod ends... i think it's just that mine just wore out... as far as the camber kit... i'm been looking around... i think i came down to this conclusion... camber kit is optional for 1.5" drop... without the camber kit it's gonna have a negative camber which is suppose to help with cornering handling but the down side is that there'll be a faster tirewear. With the camber kit it'll be more precise... but then you need to install the camber kit and you don't get the better cornering handling... but i guess you get better tire life. Someone correct me if i'm wrong... (I'm opting for the camberless route for now).

Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM
ewetho
All Star

After dropping 1.5" my car had to have toe set but Camber is optional. A lot of people and some manufacturers allow more camber than you are likely to get with a 1.5" drop on a Neon. So tire wear due to camber is low. Mine actually have some minor outside wear (Slow even taper across the tire) even though camber said it should wear the insides faster. That is due to the fun of cornering.

Have them set toe. They may wine and moan about tire wear but unless you are all highway running cross country all the time should not be a problem. If it happens to go over -1.5 degrees camber than you may think about camber bolts. Until then you get better handling.

But once again I cannot stress this enough get toe set. Might even open it up a bit towards 0 toe.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:47 AM
contagious19
Champion

ORIGINAL: neon03se

keep us posted on the alignment and what not, no one here wants to give me an alignment, i have about a 2" drop though
lol wen i go to da muffler shop ( my friend works there) , da owner keeps saying my car is too low, its funny but he would work on my car. hes going to put on my rear section.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:17 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: contagious19

ORIGINAL: neon03se

keep us posted on the alignment and what not, no one here wants to give me an alignment, i have about a 2" drop though
lol wen i go to da muffler shop ( my friend works there) , da owner keeps saying my car is too low, its funny but he would work on my car. hes going to put on my rear section.
thats exactly what everyone around town has been tellin me. i haven't gotten my damn alignment because of that!

Old 09-13-2007, 01:09 PM
contagious19
Champion

yea u need an alignment. hey dodgeneonz u going to change da tie rods urself

Old 09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

yeah... i already bought the tie rods... so might as well do it myself... learn something and at the same time save myself that 25 bucks for labor to pay part of the alignment. Also it's all in the hynes manual so i should be ok.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
contagious19
Champion

i think ima pick up dat manual cuz i need to change mine also

Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

I just got my alignement done.. and the steering wheel still tracks funny, It stays reletively stright when it's cocked slightly to the left... but then I strighten the wheel out it tracks to the right.... strange and annoying