2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Tie rod end

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
dodgeneonz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod end

Hey guys, ok so some of you guys still remembers that I had my new struts on... so when i went for an alignment... apparently there's a few problems. They said I need to have 1 front left outer tie rod end for like $62.40 and labor for it was $25.00... and a camber kit (if needed)... $30 each. So... what's a outer tie rod end? and does it really cost $62.40? is it possible to buy it myself and save on labor? I'm kinda tight on cash right now after buying wheels, struts and springs... also, what about the camber kit? I believe i heard somewhere that as long as it's a drop smaller than 2" it'll be fine without a camber kit? Mine was 1.5" front and 1.4" rear... do I need one? and if they ask me to get one then should I? or do i just go somewhere else for an alignment? Thanks alot guys... this was money that i wasn't expecting to spend in addition to an alignment so any diy instruction would help.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 AM
dodgeneonz
Veteran
Default RE: Tie rod end

alright... i read a few post and i got the general idea of a outer tie rod... but how do i install it? any how-to article on it? also is this a good enough outer tie rod?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...spagenameZWDVW
they said i need it for the front left... so... do you think this is sufficient? and what's the RH or LH stands for? Thanks.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 AM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

i have watched my step-dad install one once on my car and I was lost because he had to line up like 4 different things and kept checking on something so my sugguestion if no posts a way to do it is find a shop that will let u buy ur own parts then pay the labor, it should be an easy job u just have to line a few things up if i remember correctly

Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

yeah... i wanted to do it myself because it saves me money and i get to understand how it works so that next time i know what to do if it happens again. I think your stepdad might be lining it up to avoid messing up the alignment... once i install mine... i'll be getting an alignment because the shop said they need to get the tie rod fix first before an alignment can be made. But then again i don't know much. How much did you pay for your tie rod end?Does anyone know approximately how much a tie rod end cost?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

i paid about $50 for the tie-rod but also i get a discount from him being a mechanic so the $60 u said sounds about right

Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

keep us posted on the alignment and what not, no one here wants to give me an alignment, i have about a 2" drop though

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

Alright I got the outer tie rod end for the passenger side at advance autoparts for $11.99 O.E. Brand... suppose to come with 1 year warrenty... I knew that the alignment store was either trying to rip me off or give me something really expensive so they can make money off it too... So... does anyone know how to replacean outer tie rod end? Hopefully?Neon gods?

Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

nevermind... almost forgotten than i have a hynes manual ... but one more question left... do i need a camber kit? I only lowered it 1.5front 1.4 rear...

Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Swordfish2Cowboy
Professional

ORIGINAL: dodgeneonz
and what's the RH or LH stands for?
Right Hand Left Hand?

Old 09-12-2007, 06:14 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran