2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Megasquirt

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megasquirt

could MS be used with a ATX? or would I have to have the stock PCM control that while MS controls the rest?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker
Default RE: Megasquirt

yes it can, and i am living proof. some of the fuel settings are a little differnt with the auto because of the way it works, but its not that bad

the ms will only take control of fuel and spark from the pcm, so it will still run the trans. also, you will prob want it to control the iac valve, which i need to do but havent done yet

Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
noen_newbe
Veteran

does the car have to be umm modified to use ms or could i use a lightly modified car basicaly stock with ms?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:36 PM
GrApHite03

I still don't understand the reason you would use MS without a very high compression N/A set-up or a FI aplication. Maybe one of you guys can tell me why you have installed it and have taken control away of a very good and efficient OEM engine management system.

I can only think of one good reason...

k3v

Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
blackflame
Captain

cause you get a sweet computer... . Maybe just to get some practice or say...I tuned it myself

Isn't mikey turboing soon? I think he has a turbo and is waiting for winter, right?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: blackflame

Maybe just to get some practice or say
That is the only real reason i can think of... The thing is, how many say they are gonna go turbo and never do. It's a great thing to get that running and running with a good understanding prior to going HC N/A or FI.

I think if you are running simple bolt-ons, its not needed. I'm a big fan of the NGC despite its bad, or in reality misunderstood,reputation.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

how exactly does NGC work? im still confused about that. does it really "learn" and adapt to the mods that you have, thus giving less performance? what set-up did you have for your SXT-t graphite? (sunday is only two days away)

Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: blackflame

Maybe just to get some practice or say
That is the only real reason i can think of... The thing is, how many say they are gonna go turbo and never do. It's a great thing to get that running and running with a good understanding prior to going HC N/A or FI.

I think if you are running simple bolt-ons, its not needed. I'm a big fan of the NGC despite its bad, or in reality misunderstood,reputation.
This is true kevin. MS shouldnt be used on a car with a simple CAI and exhaust. It is a setup to get the absoulte best timing and control of your engine.

I also agree with kevin on keeping the stock ECU. However, the stock ECU is not programmed for performances sake. Replacing it with a stand alone unit (that is tuned correctly) would definately help crank out better numbers.

NGC is a weird thing... I hate it more than love it, but it can make life nice sometimes.

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

could MS be used with a ATX? or would I have to have the stock PCM control that while MS controls the rest?
Yes.

MS is a system that should not be taken lightly. It is an AMAZING setup that will offer a brilliant and amazing amount of control over your engine. However it is not needed on stock-mildly modified neons. When controlling your fuel and spark becomes a critical issue, MS is the answer. Its not the solution to the multitudes of problems we have.

The thing is, how many say they are gonna go turbo and never do
P.S. Kevin... its turbo or die!

ORIGINAL: neon03se

how exactly does NGC work? im still confused about that. does it really "learn" and adapt to the mods that you have, thus giving less performance? what set-up did you have for your SXT-t graphite? (sunday is only two days away)
essentially, our NGC controls our fuel and spark with an Iron fist if you would. Its programmed to try and maintain a specific balance between air/fuel and spark. It gets and reads the information all from the sensors.

The beauty is that it tries to balance and compensate. The ugly? It cancels out a lot of what you do by trying to maintain the balance.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM
GrApHite03

However, the stock ECU is not programmed for performances sake. Replacing it with a stand alone unit (that is tuned correctly) would definately help crank out better numbers.

Are you talking minor bolt-ons or HC N/A / FI set-up...

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
GrApHite03

nevermind, i just re-read the rest of your post

I know the stock ECU runs a perfect 13.5:1 A/F at WOT... Any good N/A tuner is gonna try to tune for that A/F ratio. The NGC hits it perfect every time.

Quick Reply: Megasquirt