2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

sticky tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 PM
tankhardrive
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky tranny

sooo i have the srt 4 short shifter from mopar i installed last month and poly booger bushings, all is fine shifts fine and first it was sticky worked it in then it shifted fast and smooth... well like i said about a month later its giving me troubles sticking again but BAD this morning when i was heading to school i couldnt get it to go to reverse.... or any gear i finally took it and pushed it into first pretty hard then the rest all loosened up and were fine but still sticky..... also when i first installed had no end play in gear now it can move around a little i mean its alot more then it used to...

soooo is the end play increasing normal?

and about it sticking what should i do and or look at? i havent had a chance to look take out the center and look at it again i know i need to... butttttt its been rainging here for 4 days straight.... yay tropical storm.... [:'(]but just what are your thoughts on it? what should i take a look at when i get the chance?

thanks guys.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM
blackflame
Captain
Default RE: sticky tranny

I just put mine in. I put the shifter bushings in first(the ones attached to the shifter frame). Those left some play still when i was in gear but whatever. Only half of them were installed and it was alright. Didn't have any problems with shifting at all. Then I put the final two in. Still had some end play and really didn't noticed much of a difference at all. The biggest difference is that I can't get it into 3rd sometimes and like twice I couldn't get it in 4th. I really don't think they make too much of a difference. So if it continues I'm going to take them out. Its doing me more bad than good right now lol.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
tankhardrive
Professional

yeah it was great but its gradually getting stickier and more annoying..... soooo i might have to go back too scared me this morning thought my tranny crapped out on me lol..... maybe its my clutch though and not my tranny???? i know i need to replace that thing soon.....

Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 PM
blackflame
Captain

Yeah, it never made since to me why you wouldn't be able to shift from a bad clutch. I still don't get it but my friends truck had a shifting problem and got the cltuch replaced and it was fine. Mine isn't a clutch thing I don't think. Since it just started happening since i put the bushings in. It is kinda going bad though. After two WOT shifts

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM
tankhardrive
Professional

ORIGINAL: blackflame

Yeah, it never made since to me why you wouldn't be able to shift from a bad clutch. I still don't get it but my friends truck had a shifting problem and got the cltuch replaced and it was fine. Mine isn't a clutch thing I don't think. Since it just started happening since i put the bushings in. It is kinda going bad though. After two WOT shifts
yeah i know my clutch is starting to go but i think its the actual short shifter..... i need $459 for my new clutch [:'(]lol

Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 PM
blackflame
Captain

what kind of clutch?

Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 AM
tankhardrive
Professional

a SPEC stage 3 that way when i turbo my car in the spring (hopefully) it will be nice and able to take all the mods i do in the future.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 AM
blackflame
Captain

cool beans. You will be able to take power for a long time down the modding road lol.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
tankhardrive
Professional

ooo yeah it makes me happy lol and worth the money now.... didnt wanna replace the clutch then do more mods and have to replace again

Old 11-02-2007, 12:39 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

I would check the bushings before you do anything. Because I had a problem getting into 3rd gear for awhile and I knew it wasn't the tranny itself. It happened to me when I was drag racing and I was soooooo pissed because I would rip first and second and then I couldn't get into 3rd. Oh, and for anyone who says, "yeah stupid rev limiter at 6800". Here is an example of why you want a limiter. Well I was pretty pissed about having trouble getting into 3rd gear and put it into first accidentally at about 60mph.....bounced it off the limiter obviously. And I put the clutch in almost instantaneously after I figured out I wasn't in 3rd. Didn't hurt anything that I know of, but if the limiter wasn't there I would have I'm sure. So if I was you I would check the bushings again and make sure they're on there good and are seated in good. They are two different sizes I think so you may want to check because you may have them in the wrong spot. I know after I checked mine it has shifted like a dream ever since. I have not had a problem shifting ever since that point.

Quick Reply: sticky tranny