2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Water in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
illriginalized
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a source for trunk seals for the 2004 dodge neon se? Just discovered water in my back seats.. then checked the trunk to find water in the spare tire area. -.-

Tail lights are OEM.. but someone told me that Dodge dun goofed and had a recall on their tail lights, and unfortunately the owner has to pay for the replacement / fix.

Or is there a tutorial on DIY sealing for tail lights and trunks?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

If you're a cheap bastard like me all you have to do is get yourself a tube of black rtv and remove the tail light and squirt a big bead on both sides of the gasket and slap it back together. Worked for me like a charm, no leaks since.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparkyle
If you're a cheap bastard like me all you have to do is get yourself a tube of black rtv and remove the tail light and squirt a big bead on both sides of the gasket and slap it back together. Worked for me like a charm, no leaks since.
Do I don't have to seal all edges around the tail light to prevent leaks?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Wherever the gasket contacts the light and where it contacts the frame is where you use sealant.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:33 AM
illriginalized
Rookie

Wherever the gasket contacts the light and where it contacts the frame is where you use sealant.
Ok thanks.. I'll check into it this weekend. Have a slight scent of what could possibly be mildew.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Moparkyle
All Star

Yeah mine leaked so long that it filled up the floor pan in the back seat before I noticed it. Your spare tire well is probably full of water like mine was too.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:46 AM
illriginalized
Rookie

Yeah mine leaked so long that it filled up the floor pan in the back seat before I noticed it. Your spare tire well is probably full of water like mine was too.
Oh yes.. it was. I just spent a good 4-5 hours vacuuming the water out of the trunk and the rear passenger side floor. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the trunk seal, clean off whatever debris exists, then RTV glue it back on. I pretty much spent the day cleaning up the carpet alone in the cabin and trunk. Then when I got to the trunk I discovered all kinds of weird crap. Had about 1 inch of soil/dirt collected in the trim of the seal (where the water is supposed to go through and out of the car at the bottom of the trunk and not inside the trunk), that believe or not.. the damn soil was actually giving life to grass.

After spending a good hour cleaning that mess up, I discovered the seal wasn't seated onto the body of the car, in fact there was more water and dirt trapped under the seal.

So tomorrow's going to be fun <_<;

Edit: Just remembered I took a photo of this crap:

Last edited by illriginalized; 11-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Jerseydevil43

I have an '04 Neon SXT- i had water in my back seat, and on the back floorboards. Turned out after I removed the bottom part of the seat, the clips that they fit into on the frame had rubber gaskets that were out of place, replaced those and didnt have a problem with it afterwards.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:06 PM
illriginalized
Rookie

This resolved my issue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290420862295...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Much thicker than OEM. Leaked not even once after replacing those frail little OEM tail light gaskets.

Quick Reply: Water in Trunk