2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Best "Bang" for the Buck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
TN.Frank
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best "Bang" for the Buck.

I just picked up an '05 SXT and want to get the best preformance out of it that I can without breaking the bank. So here's my question and I bet it's been asked a thousand times. What parts/add ons give you the best preformance gains for the least amount of money and hassel?
So far I've added a FlowMaster 50 Delta to the stock 2.25" pipe with a nice looking tip. I pulled the resonator out of the fender and added a small length of tube to bring cold air in from the fender well and I'm adding a K&N drop in filter. I'm taking back the Bosch +2's and picking up some NGK iridums(as per forum FAQ info). I'd like to mod the ECU but I'm not sure which chip or computer tuner to get. I know that most modern engines can really add quite a few HP by that upgrade.
I was thinking about an Under Drive pully, not that it'll add any HP but it will free a few ponies up that are being held captive by the accessories, LOL.
I'd like to get a solid motor mount kit, it's suppose to help with wheel hop, that sounds like something I'd like.
Most of the other mods I'd like to do are more Handling and Suppension mods(anti-sway bars, larger tires and rims, strut braces, ect.)
So, what's worthwile and what's not. Talk to me people, help impart you wisdom on this new Neon owner.

P.S.
If it was a late 60's/early 70's muscel car I'd KNOW what to do but this new fangled computer stuff really baffles me sometimes, LOL.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 AM
AirWolf
Default RE: Best "Bang" for the Buck.

You want hp than do the srt4 turbo swap best mod for your money. Also hotchkiss sways are nice and any 16inch if your want to race 17inch if anything else and any performance tire will work . I have michlin pilot sports and they work pretty well. All the mods youve done are just right and yeah modern performance has some nice race motor mounts.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
TN.Frank
Professional

I'd love to get an SRT4 Turbo but for now I'm limited to moding this car with the 2.0L that's in it. While I would be putting the motor mounts on the fender well will be out so that'd be a great time to do the under drive pully mod. Is it really decent or a waste of money? Who makes a good chip/ECU programer that's not over the top expensive? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
AirWolf

the udp is good if you dont have a nice big soundsystem and the chip idea is not a good idea I tried it didnt do anything to my sxt and waste of money I would save up for the srt turbo you can find everything you need for under 3thousand .

Old 11-13-2007, 11:30 AM
TN.Frank
Professional

I hardly ever listen to the raido so an Under Drive Pully would be ok, that's good because I've read that it'll free up almost 10 HP, not too shabby. Since we're running side ways engines with electric fans I'll not have to worry about cooling issues like I would with a clutch fan engine, that's also nice.
Other then getting a Magnum head and having it gone over(port n' polish, hoter cam installed, ect.) and getting a header and aluminium intake w/60 TB I really don't think there's anymore I can do to the engine. The cam install really wouldn't be worth it without head work and a good cam and head wouldn't be at the top of it's game without a header and better intake/TB.
I really don't want to get into the Turbo right now, I'd rather stay NA and maybe hook a 50 shot of NoS to it for those times when I need a bit more power(Friday "Run what ya' brung" night at the local 1/8th mile) so that'd be cheaper then a turbo and probably less fuss too. Anyway, looks like this is going to be a great site that moves with answers to posts. I like that. Some sites you'll post and it'll be days before you get an answer if anyone bothers at all. Anyway, I'll talk to ya'll later. Thanks

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

you wont get a hell of a lot of performance out of this car without spending a good chunk of change.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:30 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

LOL, I know that. I've been hot rodding cars ever since I got my first one, a '66 Mustang, back in '79. I know very well that "Speed Costs, How Fast Do Ya' Want To Go?" I just want to make the stock engine "Be all that it can Be." that's all. At a later date I'll get a 2.4L to build up then I'll drop it into the Neon and go fast. For now I just want to play a bit with the car and make it run a little better.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Adionik
Champion

ORIGINAL: neon03se

you wont get any performance out of this car without spending a good chunk of change.
fixed it for ya bro.

anyways. i don' tknow why you're wasting your money on expensive spark plugs, to me i'd rather save the money and apply it elsewhere.

-Motor mounts $20 on forums
-CAI $25ish on forums
-UDP $50+ on forums with belts
-SRT sway bars - $20+
-60mm TB $150

put a little kick in your step

Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TN.Frank

LOL, I know that. I've been hot rodding cars ever since I got my first one, a '66 Mustang, back in '79. I know very well that "Speed Costs, How Fast Do Ya' Want To Go?" I just want to make the stock engine "Be all that it can Be." that's all. At a later date I'll get a 2.4L to build up then I'll drop it into the Neon and go fast. For now I just want to play a bit with the car and make it run a little better.
What do you want to do frank?

Go fast mods? Do you want to focus on suspension for racing such as auto-cross and track days?

in either case the usual mod list applies for them.

For the best bang for your buck... haha, this should be amazing to here for you. Neon parts are AMAZINGLY cheap vs a lot of other cars. You will be amazed.

You looking at websites like:

www.modernperformance.com
www.howellautomotive.com

Aside from that, how far do you want to take the 2.0L engine if you are going for speed. It has great potential... just nobody has patience or dedication...

To start off it is the simple bolt on list... CAI, Exhaust, Header, TB, Intake Manifold, UDP... the list is huge.

You will see SUPER small gains with bolt ons and performance parts in general. The 2.0L engine we get has a fairly efficient system stock. So, getting power is much much harder than a lot of the bigger engine vehicles. So replacing the intake and exhaust will net much less than you think...

If you have questions feel free to PM or ask here...

Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

Because if the plugs don't spark the fuel won't burn and if that don't happen you're just SOL, LOL. I don't know why ya'll are saying this little car WON'T preform. It feels pretty good "seat of your pants" right now. Anything that I can do to squeez out a couple more HP will be nice. I guess preformance is a relitive thing. Sure, a Viper or C-6 Vet will tear me a new one but then they've got big power plants and drink huge amounts of gas. I want it to be quick for what IT is, not for what something else may be.
It's just like an NHRA Funny Car can smoke a Pro Stock but within the Pro Stock division you can be fast for your class.

Quick Reply: Best "Bang" for the Buck.