2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

How much HP could I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 PM
TN.Frank
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much HP could I expect?

I'm not working right now, my wife job is the only income. One of the reasons I traded my '04 Dodge Ram 1500 in on the '05 Neon SXT was to get some cash back to help pay bills, that and better gas mileage. I can't afford an SRT4 engine swap right now, I simply want to wake up that little 2.0L that's in the car so it'll run as good as it can. Think "Budget" when you talk about mods to me because if it's expensive it just ain't going to happen.
I've tweeked the exhaust a bit, I've tweeked the intake side a bit now I need to tweek the ECM a bit but no one is making anything for the '05's as of yet so I'm SOL there for right now. I still think a mild cam and maybe shave the head .050" would help out for about 8-10HP and that would be mostly wrenchin' taking the head off so I could get the cam in. Even then it'd be better for me go get a head at a junk yard to work over so I could do the head swap in a weekend and not have my car down for a long time.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

NGC system, no one has cracked the code yet, there is one, but it's only for the SRT4, i think. and that's 03-05

and if you're on a budget then what's this turbo talking business? XD

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

That's for after I get working and save up for a bit. Just dreamin' about the future, LOL. Hell, I could sub-frame it and stick a Chevy 350 in it if I had enough money, now that'd really scream. [&:]

Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

hahaha, but if you want to go turbo, just drop the SRT motor into it. it's safer and more reliable!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

Stupid Question, will the 2.4L out of a '99 Caravan fit the Neon? The engines seem to be laid out the same.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

donno, but a 2.4 out of a PT cruiser would

Old 11-14-2007, 11:35 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

Even with a hahn turbo adding 100 HP to your 2.0 by the way, that makes 232 at the crank. a SRT make from 215 to 250 (2005 motor)

the SRT4 motor will be the better choice, hands down, it's made for the strain of a turbo. your stock head would go out even with a 6-8PSI boost
where do you pull this stuff out of!? one question for you... how many turbo neons have you built/owned? The SRT-4 and the Neon have the same code, so it has been cracked. a more true statement is that they do not care enough about the neon to consider offering anything to us. Also if properly built and with the proper fuel system and tuning the 2.0l block can handle what the red sled is making. Just please leave this thread before you give out more wrong info to this dude.

Frank,

Your block will be fine (below 250wtq), you will not need headwork (helps but not needed), and the 2.4 in the van is the same (minor differences from the SRT-4). SRT-4 swap is dummy proof... If you don't understand air fuel ratios and EGTs then go that route. Dodge runs it pig rich from the factory so noobs don't go blowing up their motor in place of its true potential. It is fully factory controlled.

k3v

Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

Look, All I'm saying is that the SRT-4 way is safer and more cost effective! damn.

and 3 mechanics have already told me, without sufficent tuning and build up you will blow a 2.0L engine even with boost deemed 'safe' for that block

Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
blackflame
Captain

When you say that the "code is cracked" what do you mean?

Plus, are you saying that a 2.0T can do just as much with tuning as an SRT-4? I mean...Wouldn't the .4l help a little. Plus the DOHC should help in the long run a bit right? And you are saying that dodge runs a neon too rich or the SRT-4?

Just trying to learn a little haha

Old 11-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

I used to want to build up my 2.0, but then I heard the stuff I've already said. that it would be more cost effective to just swap in a 2.4L SRT4 motor into it

Quick Reply: How much HP could I expect?