2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 PM
ewetho
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Change?

If you want the best filter get them from Amsoil. EaO series. The EaO57 is stock size the EaO42 is the "Viper/Caravan size" and the EaO96 is the size of FL300 from Motorcraft. Each about 1/2 taller or a bit more. I use the Eao96 nice filter. No I am not a dealer so I am not soliciting your sale.

Other good filter if you have them available easily are Mobil1 and K&N as well as Motorcraft FL300 (Oversize and what I ran before Amsoil, also VERY Cheap at Walmart)

As for synthetic oil now decide how far you want to go. If you can't go more than 3K then get Walmat or what is on sale cheapest, 5K ti 7.5K then Pennzoil is great (should actually easily make 10K in our motor), 10K Mobil1(NOT Extended Performance, High Milage or what not just Mobil1). If you look for more than only thing to try is Amsoil.

To be honest most will not get you better numbers in a Used Oil Analysis, the better stuff just gets the same rate longer. So Amsoil can go much longer than Pennzoil Platinum but the wear rates under about 10K are just about identical. So if you just like one brand for what ever reason (perceived benefit, brand loyalty, favorite race car driver uses it what ever) use it, it is OK. Just try to adjust oil change interval accordingly and your good to go.

Most Synthetics up to 7.5 K easy, 10K start looking to Mobil1 beyond that Amsoil.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:38 PM
AnthemBassMan
Veteran

-I just put in 4.5 qts of Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Purolator PureOne filter. I usually stick with either a PureOne or a Wix filter. One question I have is about the filters. I saw in the parts book there are different oil filters for the standard Neon and the Neon turbo. Does the one for the turbo work with the regular Neon? When I got the boxes out, I expected to see one filter longer than the other. But one was the normal filter and theturbo was about twice it's diameter, but roughly the same length. Is this the one also refered to as the Viper filter?

L8R,
Matt D.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Swordfish2Cowboy
Professional

ORIGINAL: Yako

mobil 1 and k&n filter
That's what I use. I found AMSoil for like $8 a quart so I'm switching to that.

Quick Reply: Oil Change?