2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

indy intake, or rt manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indy intake, or rt manifold???

what one should i go with, my bottom end should be back to me by the end of the january (crossing fingers), i want to push around 400 hp outof this car when it is said and done.... but my question is i see the indy manifold is VERY open and the rt is not as much, problem with the indy is it has a nice price tag, lol...... but what one is better to go with??, i can get one used for about 400, or find an rt, and we all know how hard that would be?? performance wise i think the indy is the way to go, am i wrong??????????????????

thanks for the help

Old 12-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Default RE: indy intake, or rt manifold???

as far as I've heard.. It takes some custom work to mount the indy intake...

the R/T and how it fuctions is rather interesting. at low RPMs (idle- about 2500) the butterfly valves are open giving you nice air flow and a great low end, during mid range RPM (2500ish-i think 4000) those valves close for a great mid range power gain. then in the top end (4000ish- redline) the valves open up again giving a slight turbo like kick.

now, if you have a non R/T ECU then you will have to get relays. I think it's a WOT switch and an RPM switch. which the wiring is REALLY easy from what I saw.

I see you have a turbo set up. I have no clue how the R/T intake will react with that or if it's even compatible with a turbo setup or if the r/t will hurt performance in a boost aplication. I will let someone else chime in on this.

on an N/A though, I would go R/T

Old 12-15-2007, 05:02 PM
lblackneon
Champion

You already know what the Indy needs for installation. If you go with the RT manifold, good luck finding one. I never had any luck so I went with the lovely Indy.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:06 PM
AirWolf

Yeah r/ts are pretty rare to find but awesome if you do . I had a indy but went back to stock after the 1st accident since I wasnt going ot do much for go. Both are pretty nice if you can find a r/t go with that .

Old 12-16-2007, 04:46 AM
Sawhiskey
All Star

Ifyou get the r/t you should port an polish it. That should bring it up to notch with the indy, the butterflies are cool to have I would say. Its kinda like a vtech I soppose....

Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 AM
dtjackten

by the sounds of it i should go with the indy, i am running an ms, and dont feel like ****ing with anymore wiring, lol....... so i deff think i am going with the used indy...., modifying things r not a big deal to me, but i hate wiring, lol, thanks for the input, and let me know when u r ready to sell lblackneon, i have not had a chance to pull my intake off yet, it has been a cold and snowy weekend....... got hit with about a foot of snow, and lots of drifts.....grrrrr

Old 12-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if ur gonna be pushing 400hp please god dont tell me you still have the plastic intake manifold...... if you do that thing it going to explode, the R/t manifold is nice but again if you are gonna be at 400hp then i doubt you will even need the Butterfly actuators..... then again thats just my opinion...

Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
dtjackten

yeah, it is in the process as of this year/winter... it is running with srts now, with the stock manifold, but when i build the bottom end i want to up the boost and spray nitrous to it...., and i think the indy is better anyway, just because i see thereanother setof ports for nitrous/nother set of injectors, so i think it is going to be a indy for sure........ i have to get my hands on one fast, due to the fact of the engine is done hopefully the end of january

Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

I vote for neither manifold. A LoneWolf Performance or All-Motor-Mike intake manifold would be much better suited then the INDY or R/T in my opinion.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

aren't they a log type manifold....? if they are it will create a vacuum on the cylinder that is furthest from the inlet so they aren't exactly Ideal for a crazy 400hp 2.0 but w/e if u want to get rid of the vacuum u need to have 2 inlets one for the left two cylinders and one for the right two which also will increase airflow by some factor.... i forget the equation but its out there somewhere :-P anyways good luck and dont blow urself up else im'a pimp smack you

Quick Reply: indy intake, or rt manifold???