2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Problem- Auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem- Auto tranny

Was wonderring if there's anyone else who has an 04 SXT that has had issues with their auto tranny? Mine started to whine alittle bit a few days ago, just put it in the back of my head as the car was just cold... today it got alot worse and actually started to slip and whine real bad. Almost sounds as if a pump was bad??? Took all the lines off and make sure they were not blocked. So the fluid is moving... Gonna go pick up a filter and some new fluid and pray that helps it out! Anyone else with any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker
Default RE: Problem- Auto tranny

out of warranty?

Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 AM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

I still have the power train warranty on it, so if the filter isn't the cause of it after I replace it then I'll have to bring it in...Only have the one vehicle, so ifI can fix it this weekend it would be nice. If not, I'm screwed Monday!Was just hoping to hear maybe from someone who may have had something similar happen to their car?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

most dealers will give you a rental when they do warranty work. i wouldnt touch the car myself.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:43 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

Well it seemed to fix whatever was goin on for now??? Took the filter off, it did look inpretty crappy shape... Replaced the filter and refilled her back up and it stopped sounding like it was screwed up. Gonna have to keep an eye on it and the first sign that somethings wrong, I'll bring it in. Still have a bunch of miles on the warranty before it's up.I have a friend who works for a jeep dealership and he said that they would cover the remaining warranty on it. Told him what I was gonna do and he said ok as well, just to bring it in if anything gets worse again. Good to have friends who work at a STEALERSHIP!!! lol

Side note- the fluid was pretty crappy as well when i drained it... Not sure if someone before me was using the right kind of fluid when they were topping it off or not???

Old 01-19-2008, 04:33 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

I would still try to bring it to a dealer as soon as you can and tell them your story, you may have just temparily fixed the problem.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:34 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

how hard was it to change the transmission fluid?

Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

ORIGINAL: neon03se

It's REAL easy... The tranny is right there nice and clear to get at with nothing blocking anything! Just undo all the bolts and leave a few in there so when you start to drop the pan the whole thing doesn't come down when the fluid starts to drain... Then the filter is right there and it just pulls off. Clean everything up nice and good then replace filter and gasket on pan... Put the gasket on pan and start all your bolts so that it holds the gasket in place as you put it back on... Tighten it back up...Then just top it off with fluid to the cold mark. Start car and check fluid again when it warms up...

I put the front of the car up on ramps and used a creeper to work on. You could do it on the ground if you had to almost...

Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: neon03se

when i did mine it was like 13 bolts for the cover, the time to remove the old gasket, remove the filter (1or 2 screws), put filter back in, install new gasket and cover, put back bolts and fill with 4.5 quarts of atf+4. took an hour or less. make sure you check the fluid when its warmed up when you are done. add if you have too.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

ORIGINAL: srtgtr34

I would still try to bring it to a dealer as soon as you can and tell them your story, you may have just temparily fixed the problem.
My friend from the dealership just stopped over... He said I may have burned up the clutch because there's grey residue and the fluid smelled burnt! Find out in the next few days or so... Least I know I have some time before the warranty is up when it goes!!!

Quick Reply: Problem- Auto tranny