2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

05 sxt not breathing right

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:04 PM
inthewerks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 sxt not breathing right

I have an 05 neon sxt with very minor mods to it. wanted to keep engine as stock as possible so just cai and muffler welded to stock exhaust for now. the prob with my motor is every once in a while (maybe once a month), ill be at idle at a light then the engine starts "gasping". the motor feels like its going to die then when i get on it, it feels bogged down for a couple seconds then picks right back up and does just fine for another month. was thinking egr valve. any suggestions??

Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Dukk
Default RE: 05 sxt not breathing right

My 04 has done that since new - every2-6months I'll take off from a light at regular accelleration, get to about 10mph and then hardcore*bog* like someone cut the fuel or ignition or something. Car doesn't stall though and if I hit the clutch,let up andgive it throttleagain it goes like normal. No check engine and no codes either so the dealer just gives you the [sm=huh.gif]like they've never heard of it before. Kinda like piston slap - doesn't happen according to my dealer... Anyway, it's so infrequent and has never gotten 'worse' so I never really pushed the issue.

Yeah....I was no help [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I own only Dodge
Professional

My 05 sxt does this every once in a while,its an atx. It only did it after I put a resonator and srt rear section on it. I think it may just be that the back pressure is too low and causes it to stumble. Also everytime I stop at a light or something, my idle drops after a few seconds from the normal 700 or so down to like right under 500.If I tapp the gas lightly it picks back up and stays at 700.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

sounds like a spark plug problem, have you looked into it at all? Spark Plug wires? Coil Pack? I had that exact same thing happen to me ( i have an atx) and it was the coil pack, but I replaced everything at once, and my car has been running fine in that sense ever since. You should start with the simple things first IMO

Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: Dukk

My 04 has done that since new - every2-6months I'll take off from a light at regular accelleration, get to about 10mph and then hardcore*bog* like someone cut the fuel or ignition or something. Car doesn't stall though and if I hit the clutch,let up andgive it throttleagain it goes like normal. No check engine and no codes either so the dealer just gives you the [sm=huh.gif]like they've never heard of it before. Kinda like piston slap - doesn't happen according to my dealer... Anyway, it's so infrequent and has never gotten 'worse' so I never really pushed the issue.

Yeah....I was no help [sm=confused06.gif]
I solved that problem in my '03 by not shifting to second gear below 3 grand. never happened again.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Dukk

^ This is way before I even think of shifting - like only half way through the intersection. A clutch and throttle stab smartens it up so I consider it a random nuisance only.

My car does NOT like being 'loaded' under ~2500rpm either so my shifts are usually in the 3000-3500rpm range.

I picked up a MSD coil, plug wires, and Accel plugs last week but haven't had the chance to put em in yet. I'm hoping more that it cures a laydown issue I am having at WOT past 4500 rpm - feels like it's leaning right out, the pitch ofthe throttle doesn't change but accelleration drops way off.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM
lucky_seven

I had the same problem, i had to get a new Throttle position Sensor (TSP) 7 months ago, and it hasn't done it since!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

I picked up a MSD coil, plug wires, and Accel plugs last week but haven't had the chance to put em in yet.
If its the same problem i had, it should fix your problem

Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 PM
inthewerks
Veteran

thanks for all the input guys. its not a backpressure issue cuz the exhaust is fairly stock. and i have an automatic so its not a shifting problem. has new plugs in it but im getting an msd coil and wires so ill see if that fixes the problem.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Dukk

^ This is way before I even think of shifting - like only half way through the intersection. A clutch and throttle stab smartens it up so I consider it a random nuisance only.

My car does NOT like being 'loaded' under ~2500rpm either so my shifts are usually in the 3000-3500rpm range.

I picked up a MSD coil, plug wires, and Accel plugs last week but haven't had the chance to put em in yet. I'm hoping more that it cures a laydown issue I am having at WOT past 4500 rpm - feels like it's leaning right out, the pitch ofthe throttle doesn't change but accelleration drops way off.
Update:

I put in the MSD Coil and wires and Accel plugs and it runs mint now - no more protesting under load at low RPM and no laying down at WOT either.

The champions I pulled out of there were nice and tan too, just really worn. I figure they had 110,000km (61,000miles) or so on em so they needed a change

Quick Reply: 05 sxt not breathing right