2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Oil change ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Kalevra
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change ?

Ok, so I'm overdue on a oil change. I usually have a shop do it but I dont have the $ right now so I'm doing it myself

I live in NJ so the temp has been hovering around 20-50 degrees lately. I was thinking about doing 5w30. or should I stick with 10w30?

What brand oil and filter would you all recommend?

Conventional or synthetic blend?

Lucas oil treatment or not? (obviously with a blend I wont need it, i think)

Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 AM
ewetho
All Star
Default RE: Oil change ?

This actually an easy one!!!

To make you engine last 200K+ all you really need is Conventional Oil and a standard filter. In cold weather you would probably be a bit better off with 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 but I got EXCELLENT results on a used oil analysis with 10W-30 even with below 0F temps.

In fact to be a SM GF-4 oil today it could be called Semi-Synthetic so not a big deal.

So as for oil pick you favorite brand or if none the bottle you like best and be happy. If you'd like to use Semi-Blend fine go for it may not do anything for you under a 5K oil change interval.

For a cheap filter get what is called an E-Core from Champ Labs STP, SuperTech etc.. If you like larger filter (AKA the Viper Filter ooohhhhh) try the Motorcraft FL300 for 3.55 from Walmart.

The best filters are Mobil1, K&N, PureOne, and Amsoil EaO(the best). But those start at $10 and up.

As far a Lucas Heavy Duty or Synthetic Oil Stabilizer... HECK NO!!! Basically a very Very VERY heavy oil with NO additives. If you added a bottle to say 4 quarts of 5W-30 you would be much better off with 20W-50 (would be thinner too) with proper additive chemistry.

So I actually have 10W-30 FormulaShell conventional with a Motorcraft FL300 in my Neon right now here in Chicagoland. Check the weather 1/22/08. BRRRR!!! OK Canucks we know it cold up their too but I grew up in So. Cali and Floridada!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 AM
contagious19
Champion

castrol gtx 5w30. dats wat i use and im almost due for an oil change also

Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Kalevra
Record Breaker

I heard mobil 1 full synthetic was good...

and would valvoline synpower full synthetic be good?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 AM
ewetho
All Star

For our motor Dino is very sufficient any Semi-Syn or Syn is even better.

Best Syns

Amsoil
Pennzoil Platinum
Mobil1

Also good are
any Synthetic

Pick your favorite brand and forget about it.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TN.Frank
Professional

ORIGINAL: contagious19

castrol gtx 5w30. dats wat i use and im almost due for an oil change also
That's what I've been using for years and it works as well as any other quality oil. I may switch to SynTech and change every 7K instead of going GTX at 3K intervals. Either way I'm going to switch from the Fram filter I'm using to something better, maybe STP or even Mobil 1 especially if I go synthetic. LOL, I remember back in the day when we used to change at 2K intervals. Oil has really gotten better since then.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: ewetho

This actually an easy one!!!

To make you engine last 200K+ all you really need is Conventional Oil and a standard filter. In cold weather you would probably be a bit better off with 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 but I got EXCELLENT results on a used oil analysis with 10W-30 even with below 0F temps.

In fact to be a SM GF-4 oil today it could be called Semi-Synthetic so not a big deal.

So as for oil pick you favorite brand or if none the bottle you like best and be happy. If you'd like to use Semi-Blend fine go for it may not do anything for you under a 5K oil change interval.

For a cheap filter get what is called an E-Core from Champ Labs STP, SuperTech etc.. If you like larger filter (AKA the Viper Filter ooohhhhh) try the Motorcraft FL300 for 3.55 from Walmart.

The best filters are Mobil1, K&N, PureOne, and Amsoil EaO(the best). But those start at $10 and up.

As far a Lucas Heavy Duty or Synthetic Oil Stabilizer... HECK NO!!! Basically a very Very VERY heavy oil with NO additives. If you added a bottle to say 4 quarts of 5W-30 you would be much better off with 20W-50 (would be thinner too) with proper additive chemistry.

So I actually have 10W-30 FormulaShell conventional with a Motorcraft FL300 in my Neon right now here in Chicagoland. Check the weather 1/22/08. BRRRR!!! OK Canucks we know it cold up their too but I grew up in So. Cali and Floridada!!!!
ORIGINAL: ewetho

For our motor Dino is very sufficient any Semi-Syn or Syn is even better.

Best Syns

Amsoil
Pennzoil Platinum
Mobil1

Also good are
any Synthetic

Pick your favorite brand and forget about it.
The oil god speaks the truth.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and a Mobile1 "Extended Performance" oil filter every 5k-6k miles.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
AirWolf

me Im old fashion I use fram oil filters and shell 5w30 for the oil. My husband ususally changes my oil for me in both of my neons.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM
TN.Frank
Professional

I've been using Fram oil filters along with STP oil filters for years but everyone says that Fram is no good so I'm going to stick with STP from now on. Unless I go to synthetic then I'll use a Castrol filter or Mobil 1 filter. Still not sure if I want to spend $40 bucks an oil change for synthetic and high dollar filter but then I'd only have to change oil every 7K instead of 3K like I do now so I'd probably be about the same price in the long run.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:28 PM
AirWolf

Who cares what they say on here and fram has been around longer than all of us . Ive always used fram and all my family and friends use fram also.

Quick Reply: Oil change ?