2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Don't remove the temp sensor, just unplug it. Not exactly sure on the Neon without looking at mine. Typically, they are near the coolant return line that goes from the cylinder head to radiator.Around the thermostat housing, or the head.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie

If you don't feel comfortable poking around in the engine compartment, then I would bring it in. I suspect the problem is the MAP sensor. When the engine re-calibrates itself from startup, it gets a bad signal. I have had them go on 2 different cars and had 2 completely different situations occur because of it. Neither of which threw up a MAP Sensor code into the PCM. You could try that before you bring it in, they are pretty cheap.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
cookendorfernick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. So I disconnect the battery. Start the car. Let it warm up sufficiently. Rev the engine off and on for probably 5 minutes. Letting it idle in between. No go. No error. No misfire. If I can't duplicate the problem, how am I supposed to get it repaired. So now i'm not sure what to do. I'm convinced that the problem is going to come back. I'll run it some more tonight and see what happens. I did disconnect the temp sensor and plug it back in. Maybe reseating it helped. (its right next to the cam sensor - FYI)

Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie

Sounds like Gremlins.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 AM
cookendorfernick

Harley, I wanted to get your opinion on one other thing. Do you think this could possibly be a grounding issue with the coil pack? Such as number 2 isn't grounding properly and could throw up this error/cause this misfiring? There is a little oil around the number 2 (which is the one the error code says) and not around any of the other ones. I was going to remove the coil pack, clean it up a bit with some sandpaper/wirebrush and put it back on. But is it even worth it? Is that a possibility?

Old 03-05-2008, 02:25 PM
cookendorfernick

Looks like harley might not be getting online to check this today. Can anyone offer any help on this. It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie

Sorry, I was out this morning. It's very possible you have a bad ground. But also, very difficult to check. Trace both coil grounds back to the PCM, and check the PCM's grounding also. Clean all the contacts and re-assemble.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
porch

everybody tolded me it was the fuel pump but its not it the computer replace the the computer and i bet it will fix it i heard other replace many part to try to fix but all along it the COMPUTER if you put a used one in you will have to get it flash at the dodge dealer

Old 03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

Personally it sounds like 1 of 3 main things:

1.) Your cam timing is off and is misfiring
2.) You have bad Plugs/Wiring (or both)
3.) Your ECU needs to be re-flashed.

My bet is on 2 or 3. It could very well be 1...

Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
spinxracer
Rookie

hey how are you doing i recently had that same problem but mines wasnt misfiring. my car wouldnt go past a cerytain rpm and i couldnt **** leave out of a certain gear before i got it fixed. have a manual trans. the question i wanted to ask is. did you disconnect the negative cable befor you did any of this because your car is still live even when the ignition is turned of and you could have sent a shortage threw your electrical. i did this before and if anyone thinks different be my honor to correct me but, yeah did you disconnect the ground before you started working on your car

Quick Reply: HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..