2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
cookendorfernick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Hello,

I've been having problems with my car starting.. it starts consistently, but you must crank it for 4-6 seconds before it catches and fires up. Sometimes (randomly) it will fire right up. The engine code states that its a Cam Sensor problem. So, I'm thinking its either the wiring, or the cam sensor. So we replaced the cam sensor today. Began driving it. After a 20 minutedrive, we go to get on the highway, and the car starts to misfire out of control. I pull over, turn the car off, turn it back on. And its not misfiring. So I begin to get back on the highway, it starts misfiring again. I check under the hood, make sure the connection is good, everything 'looks' fine. Wait 15 minutes, start it up again. Hold the gas so that it idles at around 2000 rpm, and its fine for 30 seconds. Let it go, let it run for another 2 minutes. Rev the engine to around 2500, and it begins misfiring again. So we call a tow truck. Get it back to the house. Check the engine codes. Now its reading P2305. and Done. Did a bunch of searches on Error P2305. And cant find anything at all. Can't find anything even agreeing that the code exists. So, can anyone tell me what this code means. To me it appears as though the wiring to the Cam sensor is bad or shorted. So my next thought is to take it to a shop to get it rewired. But before I do that, I wanted to find out what this code is. And if you think a novice would be able to track down the issue. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,

Nick

Edit/P.S: Replaced the coil pack 6 weeks ago.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
cookendorfernick
Default RE: HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Can anyone provide some help on this? I've found thiswhich is very similar to my situation (I've only replaced the coil pack once though). Can anyone provide an answer/help to either of these. Any help or response would be much appreciated.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wiring, but it could be the crank sensor also.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie

That code is the #2 ignition coil fault. Do a GOOGLE search.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 AM
cookendorfernick

Thanks for your reply Harley. It's appreciated!I've done many searches. And i'm still trying to find out what the problem is. I had a misfire occuring 6 weeks ago in cylinder 3, narrowed it down to the coil pack. Replaced the coil pack, that resolved the misfiring or not-firingproblem. However, the car still had the starting problem as described above. The code at that point was saying cam sensor. Replaced the cam sensor last night, get back in, it starts great. Go to drive home from my girlfriend's house, then get on the highway and it starts to misfire, all cylinders. Anyone who has any ideas or need more information to help me, please let me know. I need to get this fixed asap and for as little money as possible!

P.S: The engine isn't throwing up the Cam sensor code anymore. The only code its giving is P2305. So, I'm assuming that the coilpack is toast, but I don't want to replace it 3 times like the guy before me has done (the link to the other post that I gave in my first post on this thread). I really appreciate any help.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
HarleyRider68
Rookie

Are you replacing the coil with a new part, or one from a junkyard? I have a theory, but I need to speak with aSystem Controls Engineer.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
cookendorfernick

The coil pack that we replaced was new from AutoZone. Link.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
cookendorfernick

Anyone else with ideas/help? I'm hoping to get some good information before tonight so I can get this taken care of. I appreciate your help so far Harley. If anyone else can provide help, it would be appricated. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie

Check the primary/secondary coil resistances. I have to check my book to see when the ECM changes from open loop to closed loop control. It sounds like when it goes into closed loop, it has a bad sensor. Otherwise, check to make sure wiring is good from the coil to the ECM. I suspect the grounding is poor, resulting in afalse signal to the coil primary leads. It's kind of like a "brown out" in the electrical system. If the coil behaves the way I think it does, it will destroy it in short order. I've seen this problem a A LOT here and nobody seems to have a good answer for it.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
cookendorfernick

First off, sorry for the multiple posts/bumping thread. Just need to find an answer to this asap.
Back on topic. I will check all of the connections. Based on the idea of replacing the cam sensor,do you thinkthisis unrelated with replacingthe sensor. Meaning, I replaced a bad cam sensor with a good cam sensor, and was unlucky to have a new issue come out of this altogether. Or maybe this was the issue the whole time. You mentioned it could be a sensor, which sensor are you thinking, based on the problem thus far? Crank sensor?

Quick Reply: HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..