2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
cookendorfernick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..

Hello everyone,

Here is the updated information. I have been running the car for about a week with no problems. Today, i get in it for 20 minutes, it starts doing it. I let it cool off, disconnect the battery cable, to clear the codes, and drive it home. It continued to misfire on and off. So I got it home. I did what harley suggested in one of his replies. I turned the car back on. Revved it until I was able to get it to misfire (20 seconds). Then turned it off, unplugged the temp sensor, and turned it back on. Revved it for a good 3 minutes and didnt start misfiring. Turned it off, plugged the temp sensor back in, started the car up, revved it, 15-20 seconds later, it started misfiring again. However, I did notice the car still running slightly different (very faint backfiring every 10 seconds when having the car at 2000 rpm) but I don't think that is related. Harley said ifthe car runsfine without the temp sensor, then it could be the map sensor (which runs $100+) and wanted to see if anyone else would agree or if you think that isa good possibility.If so, i'll replace the map sensor.I do have a catback and a K&N CAI.

Also, I wanted to bring up another point, just in case it could potentially be related. My cruise control. It works randomly. Sometimes it will work fine for 20 miles. Other times when push the button to turn on the cruise, it doesn't even say cruise on the display. Sometimes it will display cruise but not actually engage the cruise. I don't know if this could be related or not (such as its a computer problem). But wanted to mention it just in case. Please if anyone has any advice, or can talk to an experienced dodge mechanic, I would really appreciate it. I've called so many places, trying to get this fixed for as cheap as possible.

I really appreciate all the replies! Thanks guys!

-Nick

Old 03-13-2008, 02:00 AM
spinxracer
Rookie

you need to take yourcar to the shop you have short it out. your having surges going threw you whole electrical and its messing up other stuff. if your taking off the positive cable your not reseting it you messing it up some more and you need to take it to the shop badly. temp sensor. not it map sensor nope not it. but now yeah all that stuff might being going out. big question are you popping fuses yet.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM
cookendorfernick

Taking it to the shop is a last resort option. I haven't been taking the positive cable off (i'm not that stupid). I'm not saying it is the temp sensor. If you would read the posts in the previous pages, you would see where Harley stated that up to a certain temperature, the car runs on a closed circuit, ignoring some of the other sensors. Once the car is warm (which is the only time my car misfires) it switches to an open circuit where it starts listening to the other sensors, be it the O2 sensors or what have you. I'm not an expert on cars, by any means, but i'm also not afraid to get my hands dirty. Taking it to a repair shop is a last option. Last time I took it to a transmission shop to figure out why it wasn't shifting. They quoted me $700 to fix it. I then found out 2 hours later, that they cut the wire running to my Output speed sensor. Which then made me have to rewire it, and when I did, i found that the wire was actually broken within the shielding. But anyone with advice, help or any more ideas at all, I am very very much appreciative!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:30 PM
cookendorfernick

The problem with trying to figure this out is that its an intermittent issue. It doesn't run like that all the time. Sometimes its perfectly normal. Then it will start to happen again 4 days later. Because its an intermittent issue, I wouldn't think its the plugs or plug wires, but i'm going to replace those just in case. But i'm really getting frustrated, and could use some help. So any advice would be great. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
cookendorfernick

Also, I just got off the phone with someone from a service department at a local dodge dealership. He says its the PCM. Anyone with ideas?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 AM
cookendorfernick

Took it to the shop. Confirmed it is the PCM. I don't have the money to fix it. Just wanted to let everyone know what the problem was just in case anyone comes across this in the future. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you check your timing? are all the timing marks lined up?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
cookendorfernick

It runs fine most of the time. For days at a time. But occasionally it will start the misfiring again. Once you turn the car off and back on, it runs smoothly again.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Cam Sensor Replacement=New Problem..