2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Cold air intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM
liquidsieh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake problem

Hey everyone, first post i apprciate any feed back i get.

I have a 2005 dodge neon. This weekend i installed a K&N cold are intake typhone on my car. the problem is this - it makes a weird thumping/rattleing noice. what i *Think* it is is the tube smacking up against the inside of the plastic fender piece. has anyone had a similiar problem or know a quick/easy fix?

thanks a lot guys!

Old 04-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Baddog44
Professional
Default RE: Cold air intake problem

did you tighten down the support?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes i've had that problem... what i did was i went to autozone and got some black fuel line did a calculation of the circumference of the hole that the CAI goes down through to the fender well and i cut the fuel line to that circumference then cut it down the middle and just put the slit around the edge of the hole... if its still smacking the inside of the fender well then you are gonna have to loosen the bolt that holds it to the battery tray and loosen the clamp that holds the CAI to the TB and twist it until it lifts off of the plastic fender well in there then just have someone hold it in place or you hold it there and just tighten everything back up... and you should be set if not then go look around on 2gn.org 's how-to section and find the how-to about fastening your CAI with i think they used a coat hanger or somethin... anyways i hope this helps...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM
liquidsieh

@Baddog44: yes sir supports all tight

@Izero: the kit came with tubing for the same purpose you refered to so im good there. I'm not sure how i would be able to re-tighten the clamps with the intake tube repossitioned due to the fact there is a specific spot where it bolts down.

what i ended up doing was taking an old lifejacket, ripping out the foam, and lodging it between the CAI tube and the fender. rattle all gone! i know it sounds kinda ghetto, but it worked

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Izero
Champion

hope u fastened it somehow... tape or glue or silicon or something else it will just get blown out of place at highway speeds as well as put more stress on those litttttttle tiny screws that hold the plastic splash guard to the fender...... :-\ if i were you i'd try to end the part that fastens the tube to the battery tray or where ever its attached to in order to hold the tube away from the plastic splash guard... but thats just me... or you could just cut the tube down to make it a "short ram cai", which is what im considering doing but im not sure if it would be better or not... gonna have to think it through a lil more anyways good luck

Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Sawhiskey
All Star

I just used zipties and put them in some spots and never had a problem. Though I have never had once since the start, mine is ebay tho not kn.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Adionik
Champion

Yep it's called fog horn...sounds horrible. Mine does it, too lazy to fix it.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
liquidsieh

im not sure if 'foghorn' would be the corret term to describe the noise. i was looking at the 2gn.org website like someone suggested and it looks to me like there is a couple of different issues concerning the CAI and neons. the foghorn sound seems to be caused by the vacuum caused by the air being sucked through. the fixes i read concerning this is to losen the screws around the piece that attaches to the TB. my problem was purely the fact that the tube was hitting the plastic fender piece. with the foam secured between the two it elimates the thump.

@Adionik : nah man, if your car sounded like my did on the road you'd get if fixed ASAP. was truely nasty and made the car vibrate :/

Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Freerider
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Izero

yes i've had that problem... what i did was i went to autozone and got some black fuel line did a calculation of the circumference of the hole that the CAI goes down through to the fender well and i cut the fuel line to that circumference then cut it down the middle and just put the slit around the edge of the hole... if its still smacking the inside of the fender well then you are gonna have to loosen the bolt that holds it to the battery tray and loosen the clamp that holds the CAI to the TB and twist it until it lifts off of the plastic fender well in there then just have someone hold it in place or you hold it there and just tighten everything back up... and you should be set if not then go look around on 2gn.org 's how-to section and find the how-to about fastening your CAI with i think they used a coat hanger or somethin... anyways i hope this helps...
yours didn't come with one?

My K&N CAI came with a pre slit, ready to go, rubber lining for that whole??

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Izero
Champion

CAI was on the car when i got it.... but no it didnt have one

Quick Reply: Cold air intake problem