2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Give me a brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me a brake

80k miles on the '04 and still has the original brakes on it. I get a little squeak from the rear drums once in a while, and I just noticed the other day that my front pads were almost gone... so I ran out today and picked up some new pads and rotors. I haven't changed them yet, but the original pads on my car on the driver's side are visibly almost gone. But then I looked at the passenger side, and I noticed that the pads are still 50%+ there... strange, and the car has never "pulled" on me when braking...

Anyone else noticed this? Maybe water or air in the lines making the difference between sides? Maybe the driver's side is getting more pressure from the master cylinder because it's the closest to it? I find it odd that it at least seems like the driver's side must have been getting more pressure on it by far the the other... any similar experiences?

Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 AM
KARR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Give me a brake

My other car had a similar problem. When my uncle was changing my pads he told me about it. That was 2 yrs ago. I forgot what he said was the reason. You just reminded me I need to check my pads. Im starting to hear a little squeak when braking.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

i think i've had my driver ones wear quicker before. i will check when i redo the rotors and pads later this month

Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
mjs182004
Veteran

i wish i could of got 80k off my originals, i only got about 35k on the originals

Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Exubus
Champion

Hmm okay, well like I said I bought everything last weekend but never got around to doing the brakes like I wanted. This time around I think I'm purging all the old fluid out of all the lines and calipers, and replacing with fresh all the way around... maybe moisture or air or something in there I don't know about. If I find anything odd I'll post about it since I'm not the only one noticing this.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

well man the bigger you are the more pressure needed to stop you...lol JK.theres more weight on the drivers side but does that really matter..hmm

Old 06-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: N30N

well man the bigger you are the more pressure needed to stop you...lol JK.theres more weight on the drivers side but does that really matter..hmm
Hmm well I only weigh like 175... and I don't recall hauling any fat chicks around but maybe I was too drunk to remember that [sm=alcoholic.gif]

ha ha lol j/k

Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

LOL.well if one side has half and one side has none then it should need to be re-bled.when you get new brakes they should bleed them too.if you get a company to do it then you'll be covered by warranty but if you or someone you know will be doing it then you might wana bleed them out all the way to be sure.

when i had my first car(isuzu rodeo)i needed new brakes so i went to car-x...i told them i needed new brakes.they took all tires off and then came to me and said i needed a new brake system on the whole thing.they said they cant even get the brakes off to change them.so the price was 709.89 and i gave them the finger and they put the tires back on and i wasted about 2 hours.my dad new a guy that would charge me 10 bucks to change em so he did and the brakes were $40.after that my brakes were just like new and ill never go back to them.ever...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Exubus
Champion

Well I agree, sounds like a raw deal. One of the only times I ever paid someone else to do something to my car, I got taken as well for $800 and it damn near killed me 2 or 3 weeks later. That being said, I have always done my own vehicle maintenance, repair, mods, work, body-work, etc etc., my own, with no one else's assistance (I figure if I do it I know it's done right, and if I screw something up I can only blame myself and I'm not out a bunch of cash). Edit --> with the exception of 4-wheel alignments... paid for a few alignments, never done that before and it's worth the time and effort to pay someone else to do it better and faster with the right equipment... unless I figure out some cheap cool way to get it done myself lol.

I've done about 6 brake jobs in the past, this is the first time I ever saw a relatively newer vehicle have a problem like this though... that's assuming it's even a significant problem though. But, like I said, it will definitely be bled out good. I gots 2 36-ounce bottles of DOT4 and I'm not gonna stop bleeding them till all 72 ounces is pushed through all 4 lines, one by one! Wish me luck... and a sore leg when it's over lol...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

lol wow man so is your car an 05 sxt.most of them have that grill???

and good luck on it...just think a little air bubble could have caused that 50% wear its bull

Quick Reply: Give me a brake