2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Premium Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:26 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Premium Fuel

i have never ran 87 in my car, the guy before me ran it more than likely and ran garbage non syn. oil. luckily he only put 26k on the car. but anyways 89 makes my car bog, havent ran it in forever. still feel like i should be driving a porsche for the gas prices though, i wish i could save the .20 cents a gallon. maybe i shouldnt have bought the magnum, i wouldnt have this problem.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Exubus
Champion

Yes, higher octane can burn more, but it's in your head... rule of thumb for a less-than-modded Neon:

IF YOU RUN A HIGH-OCTANE GAS IN YOUR MOTOR, YOU WILL HEAR IT MORE IN YOUR EXHAUST, NO BS.

The problem with that is, you are hearing it in your exhaust! Wouldn't it be nicer if it actually combusted the first time around in the chamber the way it should have, instead of depending on your cat to keep the ignition of it going? Under nost circumstances in our motors, you will find that under NORMAL driving the 87 will burn just fine, like Chrysler recommends. Let's face it, if Chrysler or any of the other former-BIG-3 were in bed with big oil, they would recommend the most expensive **** possible, but they don't...

If you want to keep running high octane stuff in your motor all the time, go for it, but I warn you that from an economic standpoint, you are not gaining anything. Chances are, you are losing not only money but not gaining any MPG either.

Love ya N3ON, but I have to argue on this one with you only because of the chemical facts and the displacement and timing of our engines... I've even tried this myself over the years, and the facts always come back to prove themselves.

And magnum04RT, good thing that there was only 26k on that thing when you bought it and put synthetic in it... because most motors over 75k that have NEVER seen synthetic usually are decieving... if you dump synthetic in a higher-mileage motor thats never seen syn, it will probably start to leak on you after the syn has worn away on the thick deposits that the conventional never touched... and that opens up a whole new bag of worms... so good call on picking a low-mileage car.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
magnum04RT
Rookie

i changed both of my 02 sensors today, i hope to see a little difference in gas mileage. the one that was behind the exhaust manifold, was looking pretty used up.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Exubus
Champion

Good deal... I noticed a mpg and smooth idle difference right away... but usually it may take half a tank of gas or so for everything to learn the new readings from the sensors.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 AM
magnum04RT
Rookie

i thought i noticed a wayyy smoother idle, but i havent tested the mpg factor yet. im doing my timing belt in 2 days, should be exciting. im so happy my mom works for dcx so i get mopar parts from the dealer 25% cheaper.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Exubus
Champion

I have every corporate service manual and diagnostic manual made for the 2nd-gen Neon and SRT-4...

Put together, they total 2256 pages, but I have each section broken up into seperate PDF files (about 33 sections to the Chrysler service manuals, and 5 of the diagnostics) All of them put together are about 40 megabytes.

if you want me to "let you look at" the engine service manual (as you can see, its huge) which includes very detailed front-to-back steps on the timing belt and everything else, give me your email address and I will "let you look at it" lol ... believe me, they are awesome to have, VERY detailed and specific on ANYTHING you want to know about the car, period.

Quick Reply: Premium Fuel