2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008 | 04:24 PM
jmcd
|
Default RE: New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.

All the codes went away the other day when I reset it except the 1184 or the one you said don't worry about,and haven't shown back up, but running just the same! I already took the new wires and map sensor off to return them I ran it for a minute and nothing improved . I haven't filled up with new gas yet though. The thing is it was starting to run rough before i put the additive in so I do think it is a sensor but I am actually lost. So hey anything is up for consideration to me. When I replaced the map and startewd it shouldn't it has starting running better as sonn as the computor got the ne signal or should I drve it and run throught the gears?

Old 07-12-2008 | 04:28 PM
jmcd
|

Should I try the TPS when I put the plug wires in . I had it in park and reved it a little the rpms wouldn't remain constant ,and ecspecially the lowwer rpms seem to have the problem . When I had it on the road and had my foot in it , if it got to high rpms it seemed to run and sound pretty healthy.

Old 07-12-2008 | 07:14 PM
jmcd
|

Ok fellas just tried TPS and the camshaft sensor Same OLE Story ! So now I am wondering if the timing belt jumped a tooth . If I floor it the revs go up to say 4,000 then down to 3500 and keep doing this ,,, but fast though like it is hiting a governer or rev limiter or something .

Old 07-12-2008 | 09:01 PM
Izero
Champion

it takes a lot for the belt to just "jump a tooth".... how many miles are on the car and tell us exactly what it is doing or better yet if you can get a video of it that might help..... also.. you said you put new plugs in... what kind of plugs did you use? if you used anything with the word platinum in it that is the problem...if not then they may not be gapped correctly i think the gap on plugs for our cars is suppose to be something like .033"-.038" for a 00-03 and .044" for 04-05 neons.... so that could be the issue as well..it could also be a vacuum leak in the fuel injection, intake manifold, or vacuum hoses.........at this point heres what i think the problem is:

1) Wrong or incorrectly gapped sparkplugs
2) Vacuum leak in the intake manifold
3) Clogged Fuel Filter
4) Faulty/Damaged Fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator

Old 07-12-2008 | 09:43 PM
jmcd
|

Ok , I am at home now,, the cars at work . If you floor it . It sounds like it hits a rev limiter. But not a high rpm rev limiter. It's low to mid range rpms it's an automatic and I don't think it got a tach. I would have to look tommorrow . I will check the plugs again tommorrow . I am pretty sure I didn't get her the platinums or anything special . For the fuel pressure I just pushed the shrader valve with my finger and gas came spraying out . Figured that was good . But I will get an actual gauge and check. Can you get those at the parts store ? I was told that the fuel filter was a strainer type only servicable by dealer, Is the regulator in the tank? Won't the pressure check eliminate all fuel questions? A vaccum leak off all the rubber hoses have been checked .To me because off the rev limiter thing it sounds like a timing thing so I got hopefull with the cam sensor and the tps but those were a no go ,, so it led me to think of the timing belt .It has 70,000 miles on it .

Old 07-13-2008 | 09:19 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

the rev limiter is set at 4000rpm's when you are in park and i think N. its normal.

the fuel filter is in the tank and is part of the pump. you shouldnt have to worry about it till the pump fails.

the timing belt is good to go till 105,000 miles, but many people go much farther than that.

Old 07-13-2008 | 01:15 PM
fox02neon
Rookie

When I used some injector cleaner a while back it also caused my car to sputter like it was not getting enough gas. So What I found out was on top of the throttle body there is the sensor with two screws on it. Take it off and clean it with a cleaner of some sort (I used carb cleaner). And stick it back on and see how it does. On the code issues Good luck, Hopefully this works out with the sputter.

Old 07-13-2008 | 08:30 PM
Izero
Champion

no no no you must must must use IAC sensor cleaner... or TPS sensor cleaner... or you run the risk of damaging the sensor....... okie good

Old 07-14-2008 | 12:21 AM
fox02neon
Rookie

Sorry I did not know, it worked fine for me. Good luck

Quick Reply: New Guy Trying to fix Mother In Laws Neon.