Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pics of the cracking in the rear bumper:

And this is why i would need a new front bumper:

Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
mat663
All Star

I have exactly the same problem with my front bumper too! It's almost identical it's creepy...although my rear bumper doesn't have any cracking...I also don't really know if that is just the paint or the actual bumper myself.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
smallblockfreak
All Star

my front bumper has the same thing but i'd guess it's just the paint. When you repaint the bumper get the paint meant for bumpers which can flex slightly so hopefully it doesn't crack like that again.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

The front bumper def. has to be replaced, i know that the front bumper's cracks aren't just the paint, it a rather large bump in that area of the bumper. I should be able to reuse the rear, its just that it needs alot of work.. just look at all the damage on it in the pic below..

Where the bumper meets the trunk has turned white, a perfectly center and round circle drilled below the license plate, the ^ shaped gouge and whats not shown in the pic is the scrape marks which go all the way down to the urethane..

Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

both of those problems can be fixed, no need to replace the bumper... the problem is the paint, it has cracked.. it is because there was no flex agent added to the paint when it was mixed, if the car was just tapped in a parking lot it could cause that to happen... just sand it down and repaint it with the lip kit on... it will look fine...

oh yeah, i really like the kit and what it will look like, lot of work envolved but it will look sweet.... i hope u are getting the urathane lip?? they are not fiberglass are they??

Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dtjackten
both of those problems can be fixed, no need to replace the bumper... the problem is the paint, it has cracked.. it is because there was no flex agent added to the paint when it was mixed, if the car was just tapped in a parking lot it could cause that to happen... just sand it down and repaint it with the lip kit on... it will look fine...

oh yeah, i really like the kit and what it will look like, lot of work envolved but it will look sweet.... i hope u are getting the urathane lip?? they are not fiberglass are they??
They are urethane, although i will have to use fiberglass to fill in the holes.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
dtjackten

i wouldnt use glass.... me personaly go to a junk yard and look for banged up urathane bumpers... u can get them cut them up and use nortans glue to glue them in, sand them down and they will not break out on u or crack.... just an idea, that is what i did with my bumper, and all i have had to do is fix some "car dolly" damage from me driving it on the dolly and hitting the rachet strap tie down in the cold, it broke, i got all the peaces and am glueing it and sanding it back down now... just an idea.... the urathane will not crack out like the glass will... it is really not that hard to do, just takes some time and pachents..

Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dtjackten
i wouldnt use glass.... me personaly go to a junk yard and look for banged up urathane bumpers... u can get them cut them up and use nortans glue to glue them in, sand them down and they will not break out on u or crack.... just an idea, that is what i did with my bumper, and all i have had to do is fix some "car dolly" damage from me driving it on the dolly and hitting the rachet strap tie down in the cold, it broke, i got all the peaces and am glueing it and sanding it back down now... just an idea.... the urathane will not crack out like the glass will... it is really not that hard to do, just takes some time and pachents..
Mods need to learn how to spell. Just joking dtj.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
dtjackten

lol, spelling is not a strong point, and neither is typing... hahah, i try typing to damn fast, and my brain thinks faster than my hands do.... lol

honestly i am kinda shocked i did not mis spell more words than that.. haha

Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Good idea dt, i will be buying a new front bumper when the time comes so maybe i will use the current one as scraps, although i don't want to because i would want to use it in the winter... Crunching some numbers here and it looks like this will cost about 2500 dollars if i paint everything myself. I will be needing a driver side fender, new front bumper and the lip kit. While i'm at it i figure i should repaint the whole car so the color matches.

One thing that i was thinking about last night at work, I live in ny state so i have to put a license plate on the front. So i was thinking about having it sunk in to the bumper where it currently sits now. If i do that i would bring it to a prefessional to make sure its done right...

Quick Reply: What my lip kit would look like....