2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
zfxxx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance

I just installed my first part, a K&N CAI. I plan on doing alot of bolt on work to my 01 neon so I'm curious as to what order you would get your parts in. I personally prefer the car sound as good as possible as quick as possible. So can you guys help me out with that?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

well if you want sound as your first mod i would do exhaust and intake...even though intake sucks in air it produces engine noise..now exhaust wise it dosnt matter what you do but you need to get the stock muffler off...i have a strait pipe and its loud and deep.but some people like performance exhausts or cherry bombs so you have that option too.you could even get a cut out on jeggs.com for cheap.
i would say the loudest is a cutout but its up to you....
you'll have to goto youtube and listen and see what you like...
after you get the right sound i would do intake.its up to you and do what you want.and if you just got the car then do your
oil change
plugs
wires
trani fluid change
coolant flush
and throw some seafoam in your intake

so pm me if you want any more help..and good luck

Old 09-17-2008, 12:34 AM
zfxxx

How would the cut out on a neon sound, would it be a good deep sound or raspy?

Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

youtube man...i dont think anyone has done it on here...but i know on a v6 it sounds good...i would guess it would be loud and maybe deep...
raspy comes from cans that you see on civics

Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
zfxxx

I sadly can't find one video or sound clip of a neon with cutouts. I'm having a hard time finding anyother car that isn't turbo charged with one

Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Adionik
Champion

25" Thrush glasspack and remove the muffler

Old 09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
mannyfresh18
Veteran

from my opinion.

cat delete pipe and 2.5 inch piping then 4 inch tip muffler on the back to make it sound deep and loud but not anoying loud like some cars.

but thats just what i got and its good for me.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Pablodragon
All Star

Originally Posted by zfxxx
I sadly can't find one video or sound clip of a neon with cutouts. I'm having a hard time finding anyother car that isn't turbo charged with one
I think you were just looking for cut-out exhaust videos, but, just in case...

here's a link to my Youtube video when I first got my dual exhaust off e-bay... all I had on it at that time was a short ram intake and the dual exhaust... there are other related videos there too, maybe some links to what you are looking for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEW7L2MQB4

like the posts above, if yer just starting to do some mods to the engine, and all u have is the CAI, ..I think cutouts would be a little extreme... unless yer not daily-driving it.... straightpipes/cut-outs...get real annoying and suck for daily driving

Last edited by Pablodragon; 09-17-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

Vibrant rear section FTW!!!!!

Sounds great, isn't expensive and looks awesome.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

It's not about 1 thing or another, it's a SYSTEM.

Let me explain. When modifying a vehicle (ANY VEHICLE) you are talking about a living and breathing system that relies on one thing or another to produce good power.

Under that theory and understanding, looking at modifications doesn't become a "what sounds better" but what "works" better.

For instance, you just installed a new intake. GREAT! I am getting, better, colder air into the engine to allow for more controllable combustion. What is the restricting factor now? Well, the exhaust from the factory is great for up to 200 horses. If you plan to stay N/A a full exhaust is not necessary. It is good for some numbers, but if you plan on staying N/A, its worth your while to spend the money else-where. You could spend the money on a performance muffler (as the stock 2.25" piping restricts to a 2.0" muffler). The manifold from the factory is heavy and bulky. You could save weight and have that exhaust gas leaving much easier and not creating such a problem in the system. Moving back up front, your stock throttle body is limiting your top end performance severely. 49mm is not big enough for your engine when your at those high RPM's. A bigger throttle body might be in order. However, the only options available are 60mm but the best size for the best over-all gain is 55 (60 hurts low end slightly). The intake manifold is alright for right now, might need to be extrude and honed, but it works (even if it is plastic).

The System works as a whole. Expecting great gains off of one modification is ludicrous. If anyone tells you one modification is all you need they lie. Modifying one part of a working system creates restrictions in other parts.

The question boils down to... what do you want to do, how much do you know and can do, and what seems like the most logical thing to replace that is restricting your system.

Last edited by Freerider; 09-18-2008 at 03:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance