DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   Need some help please (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/183760-need-some-help-please.html)

Thomas j 01-05-2009 08:33 PM

For one I am not a complete idiot, my dad has owned his own auto repair shop for over 20 years so I do know about diagnostics Berretta 96! Don't keep telling me about the battery and alternator, my three year old son knows to check that crap! Also, I would have to be a retard not to check the fuel pressure and spark! Lastly, how can a car run without a temp sensor telling the computer a correct temp? I have had other vehicles like my last, a 94 firebird that would not run right because of a BAD TEMP SENSOR! I figured I could get some GOOD advice here since my dad is an a-hole and wont help me out. So if anyone has some GOOD advice please let me know. One last thing, pretty sure an A.S.E certified machanic like my brother in law has more business working on cars than alot of you.

darthroush 01-05-2009 10:34 PM

Nevermind. Don't even want to go there.

Simply put: Have you checked the temp. sensor to see if it is working correctly?

Izero 01-06-2009 12:05 AM

lol my guess is he might need a tune up... specially if it just keeps cranking and cranking but not firing... also replace the spark plug wires and possibly the ignition coil.... ktnx and tell your brother-in-law he has no freakin clue what hes talkin about... this aint no 57 chevy :-P

l_pillon 01-06-2009 12:15 AM

have u tested ur battery...its ok if u didnt...these things happen..everyone is just tryin to help u out...if ur dad and brother in law are mechanics u should just drive it over to their shop where the work and get the problem fixed...and then u can come on here and tell everyone that u forgot to TEST THE BATTERY LOL....just kidding but seriously let everyone know what was wrong

darthroush 01-06-2009 01:00 AM

From the Dodge Factory Manual:
CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSE CORRECTION

ENGINE WILL NOT START

1. Weak battery. 1. Test battery. Charge or replace as necessary. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/BATTERY SYSTEM - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)
2. Corroded or loose battery connections. 2. Clean and tighten battery connections. Apply a coat of light mineral grease to terminals.
3. Faulty starter. 3. Test starting system. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/STARTING - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)
4. Faulty coil(s) or control unit. 4. Test and replace as needed. (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)
5. Incorrect spark plug gap. 5. Set gap. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/IGNITION CONTROL - SPECIFICATIONS)
6. Contamination in fuel system. 6. Clean system and replace fuel
filter.
7. Faulty fuel pump. 7. Test fuel pump and replace as needed. (Refer to Appropriate Diagnostic Information)
8. Incorrect engine timing. 8. Check for a skipped timing belt/chain.

I'd still be leaning towards at least the battery with what was said in post #3...

darthroush 01-06-2009 01:06 AM

BTW (thought of a nicer way of saying this from my earlier post), if you want some "GOOD" advice, I wouldn't chew everyone's ass because you or your brother don't think that could be the problem and you "know about diagnostics..."

As for the temp. sensor, unplug it and find out. It will run without it. Take your Firebird for example, it didn't run great (the PCM uses it for determining idle, etc.), but it will run.

berretta96 01-08-2009 06:50 PM

he checked fuel pressure/ meaning "I poked da valve thingy and it squirted me right in da eye."

I wonder why your dad is an A hole to you? HUH????

and regarding the PM you sent me about my "TYPE" pretending to know everything because I changed my own spark plugs once.........I managed a 10 bay repair shop for 5 years and now I'm a parts rep for Peterbilt. I'm not new to this. I don't claim to be ALL KNOWING but I can hold my own. I don't come here to preach or to flame little guys like yourself. I was just trying to help out. Mostly I come here to learn from others and I'm gratefull for the advise I get. Goodluck with you're car. Hopefully you'll use some of the advise you've been given.

Like I said before......you're missing A: fuel B: spark C: compression
you can rule out C because compression wouldn't be intermittent. So, A or B once you know which you're missing........find out why!!!!!! (assuming the charging system is OK)

darthroush 01-09-2009 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by berretta96 (Post 1505118)
he checked fuel pressure/ meaning "I poked da valve thingy and it squirted me right in da eye."

LMAO!!! That is just too good! :D :p

Thomas j 01-16-2009 12:09 AM

Think your pretty funny?

So you think your pretty funny huh, with your remark about me getting squirted in the eye! So heres what I think you no good piece of trash, you didn't manage a 10 bay auto shop, and you don't work at peterbuilt! You know why I know? Because only retarded wanna be's say **** like that! If you would listen you would understand that like I have told you, the fuel pressure is fine, meaning it was checked with what we call a "fuel pressure gauge", the battery is new, starter is new, and it has a new tune up, meaning plugs, wires, air filter, and also a new coil pack! So if you want to try to make me look like a dumb ass, we'll see who is stupid, ok?! When was the first fuel injected chevy small block introduced and in what car? What manufacturer used to be called "Desoto"? And how could a car run without a temp sensor telling the computer what the freaking temp of the engine is? your an idiot!

mcfisher1980 01-16-2009 12:30 AM

sounds like your ignition control module may be going out.