DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   Need some help please (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/183760-need-some-help-please.html)

Thomas j 12-23-2008 05:59 PM

Need some help please

I just bought a 03 neon with the basic 16 valve 2.0 and when its cold, under 40 degrees, it takes a lot of cranking to get it started. This is my first neon, and I don't know much about them yet. anyone know what might be causing this?

berretta96 12-23-2008 07:00 PM

most shops offer what's called a free charging system check. This will check the battery voltage under a load, alternator output as well as how much power the starter is drawing while your cranking it. Your probably just getting a weak battery :)

Thomas j 12-23-2008 08:36 PM

The starter and battery are fine

The battery and starter are fine. The problem is, is that it just cranks and cranks, but takes about 5 to ten minutes to finally start up (depends on how cold it is.) If it is relatively warm out like 45 degrees or above it starts right up. It has good fuel pressure and new spark plugs.

smallblockfreak 12-23-2008 09:09 PM

then i would guess that you don't have a high enough cold cranking amps on your battery.

berretta96 12-24-2008 02:58 PM

well, start at square one

If the battery/starter are turning over the engine quick enough to start then you'll lacking one of two things. FUEL or SPARK. Have you tested fuel pressure during these NO START conditions? Have you checked for SPARK during these no start conditions? Sometimes electrical problems will behave differently during different temps.

spec_ops57 12-24-2008 11:29 PM

Make sure your block heater is plugged in and working, and also get a battery warmer for like $20-$25 from your parts store.. These two heaters do make a world of difference. Being in Canada, it's been close to -50 degrees Celsius with the wind chill over night, and with my two heaters plugged in, my car has no problem starting.

Thomas j 01-02-2009 05:21 PM

My brother-in-law said it could be the temp. sensor. What do you guys think?:confused:

berretta96 01-03-2009 08:32 PM

I think you're brother in law would have better luck guessing lottery numbers!!!!!

Did you read my post a couple of posts up??????? There is a reason shops charge diagnostics. Most problems could have several different causes and we could GUESS which parts to replace ALL DAY LONG. You need to spend some time checking things out rather than shooting in the dark.

GOOD LUCK (next time, I want my *CLICK* back LOL)

darthroush 01-03-2009 09:26 PM

If your battery and alternator are fine, I'd check the plugs (gap, condition), wires (condition, resistance), and coil pack (condition, corrosion). 3 very easy things to get to.

P.S.- Tell your brother-in-law to stay away from cars. You don't have to have a temp. sensor period, let alone that being the cause of any problem besides the temp. gauge not working.

spec_ops57 01-03-2009 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by darthroush (Post 1499537)
if your battery and alternator are fine, i'd check the plugs (gap, condition), wires (condition, resistance), and coil pack (condition, corrosion). 3 very easy things to get to.

P.s.- tell your brother-in-law to stay away from cars. You don't have to have a temp. Sensor period, let alone that being the cause of any problem besides the temp. Gauge not working.

lol!!