2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do?

Ok, I my front drivers side tire has slowly been leaking air. It takes about a week before I have to go put air in it again. So I took it to the tire shop today and had them take a look at it for leaks and about 10 minutes after they had it they bring the wheel in to me and tell me I need new wheels. They tell me that the chrome is corroding and that is causing it to slowly leak air and that if I don't replace the wheels it is going to eat my tires basically and I'll have to get new tires and wheels. The wheels in question are my 7 spoke chrome stock wheels. I didn't take a picture so I can't post it up as I had them mount the tire back on because I wasn't ready to purchase any wheels yet and I really don't. So my question is what do you think I should do. I could see that is beginning to corrode and that the chrome is beginning to come off. I also feel that they are trying to yank my chain and get me into shelling out 400 bucks for some new wheels. I am considering just leaving them on there until april/may when I can then put my summer wheels back on which would give me more time to either find wheels I like or find some stock neon wheels. Input? If I had to purchase some wheels right now, it would probably be some 15" Rota Slipstreams. But again, I really don't want to shell out 400-500 for winter wheels, plus I want to buy a clutch in the next month and have it installed.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

Well a good shop would of tryed to take a wizer wheel and try to get the corrosion off of the wheel, and then remount the wheel.... this accually happens to allumium when it starts to pit, sometimes the bead will not seal tightly.... i would try this method before i worry about buy new wheels...

Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 PM
mat663
All Star

maybe you should try more tha one tire shop to see if they all say the same thing. Just to make sure that that is really the actual problem.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dtjackten
Well a good shop would of tryed to take a wizer wheel and try to get the corrosion off of the wheel, and then remount the wheel.... this accually happens to allumium when it starts to pit, sometimes the bead will not seal tightly.... i would try this method before i worry about buy new wheels...
Would have tried to take what? That is basically what they told me was the bead would not seal anymore after awhile. I just don't want to buy anything too nice because the abuse the wheels are going to take. Sorry for the massive amount of run on sentences in my first post. LOL.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
dtjackten

i call them a wizzer wheel... they have like a small sanding disk.. usually run on air.... if it is doing what i think it is that would solve the problem.... the rim is not bent or anything is it? i know u cant get a pic of it but that would help...

Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Its not bent at all. The chrome is kind of bubbling, like it does on the body when your car rusts. That is all there is at the moment which is why I feel like they were trying to take advantage of me. Which is why I told them that I would go home and check wheels out.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 PM
dtjackten

i would go right to another shop... that is what i would do... do u notice it loosing air now? after they remounted it?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

No. It loses pressure very slowly. It will take about a week before I notice the pressure is getting low and I go and put some air in it. I just took it to discount tire, don't know if you have those around by you because that is where I bought my tires.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:39 AM
djmagic
Record Breaker

Lowslow, I would say try another shop. See what they say. If it is the same thing or something with the wheel take it to a wheel repair shop. The place I have taken mine to has fixed a cracked and bent on both sides wheel and a wheel where about one inch in, it was bent real bad. They most likely can fix that too. So just find a wheel repair shop and your looking at about 100-150 I would say. Either that or go to a junkyard and get a wheel.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

What type of shop would you recommend that I take it to? 100-150 to get a stock wheel fixed is too much because at that point I'll just buy a new wheel. I might just deal with it and try to make them last til spring when I can mount my summer wheels again.