2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2005 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 PM
mwgen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2005 Neon

Have P0344 & P0340 errors. Replaced cam position sensor 3 times and the crank postion sensor once. Replaced the computer. Still have the same problem. Wire harness looks ok from what I can see. Problem is worse when it is hotter outside. Sometimes engine will not start till you let it cool. Dealer wants &1,700 to put on a new wire harness but still may not be the problem. Is this seneor a passive or active? Is there a magnet on the cam end that I do not see? 2000-2003 look to be passive and have a magnet. How about 2005?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you replacing them with factory or aftermarket sensors?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 AM
dorman68

Check your pigtail connectors for the cam and crank sensors.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
mwgen

First 2 cam position sensors replaced with after market, Read only the OEM would work so I had that one put in. Replaced connector. Crank position sensor replaced with OEM.
Does anyone know if there is a magnet on the end of the cam shaft and if that could be getting weak?
On post says I may be loosing the 8VDC power source. How do I check that? Have not been able to find the wiring schematics for the Neon. Chilton's only has the lights....

Old 05-27-2009, 01:43 AM
smallblockfreak
All Star

check the voltage between orange and black/light blue on both the cam and crankshaft sensor while it's running and both should go up and down in voltage i do NOT recommend using a test light because it's part of the pcm and could possibly toast it so use a digital multi-meter.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:43 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Shoot me a PM with your email. I have all of the factory wiring diagrams in a single PDF.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
mwgen

darthroush,Thanks, my email is mwgen@hotmail.com. I couldn't find out if the PM went or not. I started to dig into the wire harness and tracked 2 wires going down toward the computer and the black/blue one hits a plastic tube with 2 other wires the same color. 3 going into the tube and three going out. I believe this wire goes down to the crank position sensor. In the center of this tube is a brown area. Was going to cut it open but don't know the function of the device.
I'll try to check voltages this weekend but the shop that replaced the sensors said they could see the signal decay then go bad. After the new sensors were installed it would run good for 1-2 weeks then act up again.
Have a great day!!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:07 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Got your PM. Just looking though, the diagrams are about 26MB and I can only send 10 through hotmail. I do have a post with a link where you can download the entire shop manual for free though. Click my user name and look through my threads started.

Looking at your other post, you say another post says you may be losing the 8V power source? The sensor gets 5V from the PCM.

As for the magnet question, there is a target magnet at the end of the cam. There is a section in diagnostics that says:
Turn the ignition off.
Remove the Camshaft Position Sensor.
Inspect the Tone Wheel/Pulse Ring for damage, foreign material, or excessive movement.

Were any problems found?
Yes: Repair or replace the Tone Wheel/Pulse Ring as necessary. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 5 - NGC.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:12 PM
mwgen

It ended up being the wiring harness. Spliced new wires fron the cam position sensor to the computer. Worked great.
Thanks to all for help!!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:12 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, that can happen as well! Glad you got it figured out!

Quick Reply: 2005 Neon