transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:04 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by redsox5810
My son has a 2003 Neon. Transmision blew on Christmas day..Dealer wants $3,000 for a car that has a $1,700 trade in value...Not sure if its worth it to fix, although his car is in new like condition. Babies it...any way, found a 2002 Trani and was wondering if it would fit?
I do believe, re-looking through all of the information about the transmissions, the 02 could work. 02 is when they switched to the 4 speed electronically controlled transmissions (not 03, but 02 had many more problems IIRC since it was the first year they did the all-electronic transmission). It will fit, size wise, but if you'd like, I can go through and re-check everything and see if it would be a "plug and play."

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is NO more problems with an 02... this is the EXACT same transmission and control system since 1989. This is the same trans as the 2.4's have been using forever like in PT's, and 2.4 minivans.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Oh really? Go ahead and put a 1989-01 transmission into an 02+ Neon with no other changes, just the transmission (since it's all the same), and tell me how it works out.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:25 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

OK, so point out where I said ANYTHING about the 3speed trans used in 1994-2001 neons? the WHOLE conversation was related to the 41TE (aka A604 aka F4AC1) transmission. You bring up something that has NOTHING to do with the topic NOR anything I said in any way shape or form!!!! I've been saying since the start there is NO difference in the OD transmissions since 1989 in how they function, the parts within, operation, etc. There have been a lot of running changes and different case configurations, but the method in which they work has been the same since day one and the ALL use the exact same rebuilt kit (clutches, steels, seals, ring, oil filter, gaskets, speed sensors and much more)
oh and the difference between a 02 and 03 is the final drive ratio, that's it. The TCM has a slight difference in programing. But you can absolutely interchange them.

Last edited by 92dak5.24x4; 01-06-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:34 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 92dak5.24x4
OK, so point out where I said ANYTHING about the 3speed trans used in 1994-2001 neons?
??? OK...

the WHOLE conversation was related to the 41TE (aka A604 aka F4AC1) transmission. You bring up something that has NOTHING to do with the topic NOR anything I said in any way shape or form!!!!
Really...you think? You think this whole conversation was about the transmission that goes in the Neons? Really? Who knew...in the Neon section of all places too. Damn the OP.

I've been saying since the start there is NO difference in the OD transmissions since 1989 in how they function, the parts within, operation, etc.
I haven't been arguing with you over the function of an OD transmission (or said that the OD worked differently either), but he can't use previous years' transmissions regardless if the OD works the same or not. How the OD functions in the A604 transmission isn't what was being asked, or what the problem is, either. However, if there is no difference in the operation, answer me this. In the 2001 and below, you can "firm" the shifts up by adjusting the linkage. That will not do anything on the '02+ (dare I say hydraulic vs. electronic). Why is that? If they are all the same in every possible aspect, it should work on them all. Also, why will the '02+ not work well with a shift kit? The computer throws a fit if one is installed.

There have been a lot of running changes and different case configurations, but the method in which they work has been the same since day one and the ALL use the exact same rebuilt kit (clutches, steels, seals, ring, oil filter, gaskets, speed sensors and much more)
oh and the difference between a 02 and 03 is the final drive ratio, that's it. The TCM has a slight difference in programing. But you can absolutely interchange them.
I'm aware. Thanks. The TCM programming is what caused the problems in the 2002MY, that I referred to, that you said was no different than before, but is now slightly different, but can be interchanged, but they're the same. Got it. Thanks for that clarification as well. I can now go to bed with my mind at ease over this issue.

G'night.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

OK, you win, I'm done with this topic. you obviously know more about41TE transmissions than anyone else in the world.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

LOL. It has nothing to do with that. It may be the same name for the transmission, 41TE, A604, whichever you'd like to call it, but they are not the same. There were four different A604 units [transmissions] produced. The 2002 and up are 4 speeds, whereas the earlier ones were 3 speeds. There is obviously more to a 4 speed than a 3 speed, therefore, I'm sure that has something to do with the cost to begin with. If they came out with an electronic 6 speed A604, you think the rebuild price will still be the same as a hydraulic, 3 speed since it is still called an "A604?" If you go to different shops ranging from the dealer to private, and get a price for each one and they are not the same for a rebuild, that must be telling you something. Either that, or the whole transmission repair world is scamming every A604-equipped Chrysler owner.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:22 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

yep you're so right, yep 6 speed 604, yep more expensive to build a 4speed automatic than a 3speed, yep you are the God of neon overdrive transmissions, you taught me a lot about them. thanks for getting me straightend out. I've got to rebuild a 2003 neon automatic trans, can you give me some guidance as to how to do this, I know the minivan automatic overdrive transmissions like the back of my hand and can recite from memory every change done on them and in what years, but I've never done the Neon trans. I hope you can provide me the insite I need to rebuild these unique and special transmissions. Out side of the special Neon 4speed transmission, I know there are over a dozen different minivan overdrive transmissions, however for all of those 4speed transmissions, the interals are all exactly the same and use the same rebuild kit from 1989 - 2007.

In the minivan world, the 3speed trans is called a 31TH(new name) the old name was 413 for the 2.2/2.5 automatic and the 3.0 v-6 as a 670 but both transmissions were identical except the bellhousing. The minivan 4speed trans was called the A604 then in the early 90's it was changed to the 41TE. And if you got the same overdrive 4speed in an Avenger or Talon with the 420 engine, that trans was called a F4AC1 but it was still the same internals as all the other 4speed automatic transmissions

So could you enlighten me as to ALL the unique differences in the 4speed neon transmission so I don't f-up this 2003. I'm willing to listen and learn to an expert such as yourself.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 92dak5.24x4
yep you're so right, yep 6 speed 604, yep more expensive to build a 4speed automatic than a 3speed, yep you are the God of neon overdrive transmissions, you taught me a lot about them. thanks for getting me straightend out. I've got to rebuild a 2003 neon automatic trans, can you give me some guidance as to how to do this, I know the minivan automatic overdrive transmissions like the back of my hand and can recite from memory every change done on them and in what years, but I've never done the Neon trans. I hope you can provide me the insite I need to rebuild these unique and special transmissions. Out side of the special Neon 4speed transmission, I know there are over a dozen different minivan overdrive transmissions, however for all of those 4speed transmissions, the interals are all exactly the same and use the same rebuild kit from 1989 - 2007.

In the minivan world, the 3speed trans is called a 31TH(new name) the old name was 413 for the 2.2/2.5 automatic and the 3.0 v-6 as a 670 but both transmissions were identical except the bellhousing. The minivan 4speed trans was called the A604 then in the early 90's it was changed to the 41TE. And if you got the same overdrive 4speed in an Avenger or Talon with the 420 engine, that trans was called a F4AC1 but it was still the same internals as all the other 4speed automatic transmissions

So could you enlighten me as to ALL the unique differences in the 4speed neon transmission so I don't f-up this 2003. I'm willing to listen and learn to an expert such as yourself.
Yeah, the 6-speed "41TE" is the 62TE (both are an "A604" too), but I know you already knew that. So, since they are both an "A604," they must cost exactly the same amount to rebuild somewhere, right? In trying to be a complete *** at this point, you have also missed the point I was making in my last post, evidently, in regards to what was originally being talked about. Congrats.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

So the 03 neon comes with a 6speed called a 604? How can they have a 4speed and a 6 speed with the same 604 denotation? Are you going to help me with this 03 Neon trans, I know nothing about them and I really want your expertise on how to rebuild it since you say it's so different than the 41TE like what the Minivan's, Dynasty, Shadow, Spirit, Cirrus, Stratus, Avenger, Talon, and Daytona's use. Or atleast tell me what is the difference and I'll figure out the rebuilding part.

Quick Reply: transmission problems