2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

detailed stereo installation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Franklinnn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

such as? I went a bought a few connections, the only all-in-one's i got was the wiring kit, which came with a few clamps connectors and all the wires, the rest will be a good ol' screwdriver and ratchet set not much else to use!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Klein Tools Wire Stripper and Wire Crimper. Separate tools for each step has been the best money I've spent as far as tools for wiring work goes. The all-in-ones try to combine the above, but fail miserably at it. Those along with my mini-torch for heat-shrink pieces and exterior connectors FTW.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Franklinnn
Rookie

well i got it!! it took a long time!! but well worth it! i had a wire stripper and clamper tool that did fine and got the job done.

the hardest part was getting the power wire through the grommet, the rest went slow but easy, just had to be carful removing panels. but its done!!

when i bump it, it dims my headlights.. but its not a completely powerful system.. is it maybe a bad battery, should i get a farad cad, or maybe poor grounding? iffy alternator?

Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
dhmdsa

Originally Posted by Franklinnn
well i got it!! it took a long time!! but well worth it! i had a wire stripper and clamper tool that did fine and got the job done.

the hardest part was getting the power wire through the grommet, the rest went slow but easy, just had to be carful removing panels. but its done!!

when i bump it, it dims my headlights.. but its not a completely powerful system.. is it maybe a bad battery, should i get a farad cad, or maybe poor grounding? iffy alternator?
i think everyone has this problem as far as i know, a power capacitor will certainly ease it a lot but it will never go away completely, i have a 2000w RMS system and a 5F cap does it fine

Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Mine did the headlight thing pretty noticeably until I changed the belts that were on their way out. Been pretty much fine since. Now I just have to replace the alternator that went out yesterday. A big part of the problem from my understanding is the grounds in the car. A lot of people upgrade all of the grounds to larger wire. The "super ground" upgrade I believe is what they call it.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

I was looking around, and found this but not really wanting to spend 180+$ on it... :-/

how well would a farad cap be? or would replacing belts be a better route (i have 47k miles)

or maybe an extra battery?

Last edited by Franklinnn; 10-07-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can upgrade the grounds yourself. Just get some 8 gauge amp wire and ring connectors. That is another project for myself down the road. I really hope that is the cause of it. If not, I suppose I won't have to worry about shorting out somewhere.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Franklinnn
Rookie

i already have 8 gauge wire.. maybe its just the ground location?... who knows.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I had to fix wiring in my driver door last night. I agree, who knows. Seems to be some flaws in the wiring.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Franklinnn
Rookie

hmm, maybe ill get a farad cap, see if that works, and hope i dont kill an alternator or battery....

Quick Reply: detailed stereo installation?